Hughesnet Community

Hidden Network?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tomwilson62

Hidden Network?

I was looking up "Hidden Network" and came across the article below.

https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/Tech-Support/Hidden-Network/td-p/87463

The above link is something Amanda had posted a reply on. My question is...
If I have not purchased or installed the booster equipment (I clicked the link she provided about a booster), why do I have a "Hidden Network" when I check for available networks on my windows 10 laptop/tablet?
We have had service since June and this new network has just shown up recently (that I am aware of).
Concerned.
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
MarkJFine
Professor

Better question: How would a booster know there was a modem there to link up to if there wasn't a separate back-channel to the modem that only it could see?

Fact is that it's not really a hidden network, it's basically a periodic pulse (albeit a separate ID) of the existing one, presumably for the purpose I just stated.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

View solution in original post

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@Tomwilson62

Though you may have concern, it can't be utilized by anything other than the WiFi booster.  No one can use it to hack into your system or anything like that, if that's what you're worried about.  

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
MarkJFine
Professor

Better question: How would a booster know there was a modem there to link up to if there wasn't a separate back-channel to the modem that only it could see?

Fact is that it's not really a hidden network, it's basically a periodic pulse (albeit a separate ID) of the existing one, presumably for the purpose I just stated.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@Tomwilson62

Though you may have concern, it can't be utilized by anything other than the WiFi booster.  No one can use it to hack into your system or anything like that, if that's what you're worried about.