cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jbeslinger
New Poster

Home Web Server Ports are Unreachable

Hello, web moron here:

Trying to set up a raspberry pi web server at home; have my domain registered and the IP set up with a dynamic DNS service, port forwarding set up on 80 and 443 (both set up for listening through my apache server config). Running tracert on my domain address stops me at my router (its local IP) and returns "Destination net unreachable".

I'm unsure what's gone wrong here? I know that these situations are like needles in a haystack, so I can provide more troubleshooting info.

Thanks!

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
MarkJFine
Professor

If you're on the residential HughesNet network your IP will be unreachable from outside the network. Only the business network can be addressed this way.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

View solution in original post

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Yeah... You're going to need a business account, as well as request Static IP... Be aware that termination costs on SME accounts are twice that of residential service, and the service it self is more expensive...  I strongly suggest you get setup with a webhost, would be far faster for end clients, and probably cheaper in the long term than hosting via an SME account.  I only do it because, "why not?".

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
MarkJFine
Professor

If you're on the residential HughesNet network your IP will be unreachable from outside the network. Only the business network can be addressed this way.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

Ah, of course.
Thanks a million! I'll look into that.
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Yeah... You're going to need a business account, as well as request Static IP... Be aware that termination costs on SME accounts are twice that of residential service, and the service it self is more expensive...  I strongly suggest you get setup with a webhost, would be far faster for end clients, and probably cheaper in the long term than hosting via an SME account.  I only do it because, "why not?".