Intermittent connectivity, 12.1.9 and many other state codes :-(

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mommabird
Freshman

Intermittent connectivity, 12.1.9 and many other state codes :-(

For three weeks, we've had random drops in connectivity - ranging from all good to NO connectivity.  Most common state code is 12.1.9, but also have received 12.7.2 or 21.2.1 or 12.2.2.  At one time saw a diagnostic code of a bunch of zeroes followed by 49.  Sometimes restarting the modem helps, but not always, and only for a short time, even in perfect weather.

Our dish is mounted on our roof.  We had a big snowfall just before this happened, and at first I thought that snow sliding off the roof may have bumped the dish enough to have it off-target.  But not sure considering the above diagnostics?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
Amanda

Hi there Mommabird!

It looks like over the past few months the antenna has steadily gone out of alignment, or the line of sight has degraded. I see from the last visit that the line of sight is adequate but I can see how some growth on the tree would impact the service. Generally, leaf or plant growth shows itself by a declining signal over time - exactly what I see on my end. I can send a technician out, but in the next year or so it may happen again. I recommend having the tree trimmed.. or the way my mother used to do it - a rope hugging the branch(es) and tilting them away 🙂

The site visit will be free of charge and someone will contact you to confirm the visit date and time.

Thanks,

Amanda

View solution in original post

Thank you!  I will wait to hear from someone!

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
MarkJFine
Professor

12.1.9 means a high transmit error rate noted from you at the gateway.
12.7.2 indicates a problem receiving an intial transmit acknowledgement at startup.

The other two are likely by-products of these as one (21.2.1) is normally part of the dish re-acquiriing the satellite and establishing a path to the gateway.

If the snow's now cleared and it looks unobstructed, and you still have unusually poor service, it's quite possible there's an alignment issue. Will likely need an admin to peer in with some diagnostics to be sure what the problem could be.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

That makes sense, thanks so much for the help!  Hoping admin will weigh in too.

@Mommabird wrote:
Our dish is mounted on our roof.  We had a big snowfall just before this happened, and at first I thought that snow sliding off the roof may have bumped the dish enough to have it off-target.............

I've always avoided mounting anything on my roof.  Just a leak waiting to happen IMO.  Cost a little more to

put it on the ground, but I'll gladly pay the difference.  Plus it's a lot easier to work on if it's on the ground.

If it is an alignment problem, I'd consider moving the dish off the roof.

I live in Florida, so I never have to worry about sliding snow.  Maybe another good reason not to have a dish mounted on the roof. 

We live in the mountains of western NC surrounded by forest.  Nothing short of putting it on the roof would give the dish a view of the sky 🙂  Dish was formerly post-mounted, trees eventually blocked path to satellite.  Roof is last resort.

@Mommabird wrote:

We live in the mountains of western NC surrounded by forest.  Nothing short of putting it on the roof would give the dish a view of the sky 🙂  Dish was formerly post-mounted, trees eventually blocked path to satellite.  Roof is last resort.

Ah, I know a little about the area, many people had to have a four wheel drive just to get up their driveways.  Good luck on getting the dish to work on your roof,  otherwise you may have to cut some trees.  Well, you could probably use the firewood.  When I was in that area, everybody had a wood stove or a fireplace.

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@gaines_wright

I've had my DirecTV dish on my roof since the Spring of 2005.  No leaks and no issues, other than it being a bit of a pain to reach in order to brush snow off of in the winter, and this is with an extension pole.    

@GabeU wrote:

@gaines_wright

I've had my DirecTV dish on my roof since the Spring of 2005.  No leaks and no issues, other than it being a bit of a pain to reach in order to brush snow off of in the winter, and this is with an extension pole.    

I hope you knocked on wood.  It'll probably start leaking tomorrow.  :>)>

Seriously, I was advised many years ago, by an several people that I knew, with years of roofing experience, not to put anything on your roof.   I live in Florida, where the sun is really tough on roofing materials.  I have a 26ga galvalume roof on a 6/12 pitch that was installed in 2004.  About 2014 I had to have all of the roof penetration boots replaced.

Haven't had any trouble with snow though.

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@gaines_wright

Ah, a metal roof.  I think something like what you experienced is one of the reasons why neither DirecTV, nor HughesNet, will install their dishes on a metal roof these days.  That and the metal warping, throwing the aiming off.  The anchoring into the beams is supposed to mitigate this, but it's just another problem with installation on metal roofs that could crop up.   

I need to have my DirecTV dish relocated next summer, as my roof is being replaced with a metal one.  Still, the relocation will be much cheaper than I anticipated, and it includes the hand digging of the trench to bury the line.  🙂  My HughesNet dish is already a pole install, so it's safe where it is.  

I live just off of Lake Erie and just south of Buffalo.  Nothing BUT snow in the winter, here.  My town actually had the 2017/2018 snow total record for the western half of the state, which is, unfortunately, a common occurrence.  We totalled 269.7" for that season, which is a good bit above average.  The average is around 200".  Luckily, this current season has been very mild, so far.  Nearly three months to go, though.     

Amanda

Hi there Mommabird!

It looks like over the past few months the antenna has steadily gone out of alignment, or the line of sight has degraded. I see from the last visit that the line of sight is adequate but I can see how some growth on the tree would impact the service. Generally, leaf or plant growth shows itself by a declining signal over time - exactly what I see on my end. I can send a technician out, but in the next year or so it may happen again. I recommend having the tree trimmed.. or the way my mother used to do it - a rope hugging the branch(es) and tilting them away 🙂

The site visit will be free of charge and someone will contact you to confirm the visit date and time.

Thanks,

Amanda

Thank you!  I will wait to hear from someone!

Hi Mommabird,

Just wanted to check in and see how everything went since I haven't heard from you in a while 🙂

-Amanda

Hi Mommabird,

It has been a while since we've heard from you so this thread will be closed. Feel free to open a new one if you have any further questions or concerns.

Thanks,

Amanda