Losing internet access every night

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
capnzathrus
Sophomore

Losing internet access every night

Sometime during the last 6 nights I have lost internet access. 1st two mornings, I reinstalled HT2000W. 3rd, rebooted. 4th, unplugged for 30 seconds. 5th, rebooted. 6th, reinstalled. I should not have to fiddle with the router every morning to have internet access. Called support and spoke to a moron who understood nothing. She said it showed I had been turning the router off and on and I shouldn't do that , because it could damage it. Had to explain, again, I had to in order to have internet. The router should have been replaced a very long time ago. I have lost ability to connect to hug2 through laptop. I have sporadic signal that during downloads speeds drop to zero and sometimes stay there. She finally told me to call when the issue is present. YOU KNOW WHAT HAPPENS THEN?? Faulty diagnostics will be run. I will be told to unplug and replug, then it will work and I wil be asked, "Thank you, is there anything else I can help with?" Support quoting FAP (which means if you want higher speeds throughout the month you should be able to afford $500-$1000 every month), does not help and does not have anything to do with my issues.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Liz

Hi capnzathrus, 

Thanks for posting and sharing those details, that helps. I'm sending you a modem; you can use its box to return your old modem. There's a shipping label in the outer pouch for your convenience. I hope the new modem works out well for you.

-Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

View solution in original post

28 REPLIES 28
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

Sounds like your modem is trying to bite the dust.  Are you a residential or business account?

Residential. And, I live in an area with frequent power outages. Any time there is lightning within 10 miles, power flickers, goes out, repeat.
Liz

Hi capnzathrus, 

Thanks for posting and sharing those details, that helps. I'm sending you a modem; you can use its box to return your old modem. There's a shipping label in the outer pouch for your convenience. I hope the new modem works out well for you.

-Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Just a reminder. I am within 6 months of signing contract, so no charge for the modem. Thanks.

Yes, the modem is free, no worries.

-Liz

Received the modem, yesterday and installed. Woke up with no internet access, again. I can only assume the dish needs either re-pointed, because of satellite drift or there is another issue with the dish. Neither my desktop or laptop have internet access. Both connected to the modem, but say "no internet". Browsers open to error pages. Went to the web acceleration steeing and clicked to disable and it did nothing. Just stayed on and green. Clicked Reset MBX and just stuck on Resetting.

Under System Summary, what is the State Code when you go here?

Under System Status, what is listed under IP Gateway Association State?

Also, under System State Code Monitor, what are the listed, most recent State Codes when you go here?

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

I am aware of all the functions of the modem and had even re-installed the former modem manually. Troubleshooting  is not what I need. There is an issue with the dish that needs repaired. Your questions were going to lead to your quoting FAP, which I already stated is not the issue. I started a new thread, because Liz sending a new modem seemed to be a solve to the problem in this one. In the new thread, I clarified my current problem.

No, I wasn't going to bring up FAP. I was looking for something else.

And no, since the problem is not solved, please keep it to one thread.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
maratsade

The state codes would actually show what may have been happening around the system while it wasn't connecting. There are dozens of these codes, all pointing to specific problems, and @Liz will need this information to figure out what may be going on.  If you can follow Mark's advice on this, it'd be great; it's just a listing of codes. 

Okay. Tomorrow morning I'll check the codes.

Day 9. I woke up this morning and found my internet acces still on!! No state codes to report. Maybe it's going to act right.

maratsade

That's excellent news! But if you encounter issues again, remember the state codes can provide us with a lot of info about what might be going on, so recording them should be your first priority. 

@capnzathrus wrote:

Day 9. I woke up this morning and found my internet acces still on!! No state codes to report. Maybe it's going to act right.

Good morning capnzathrus,

That's good news! Thanks for sharing. I've merged your latest thread into your original one. I'll keep your thread open the rest of the week in case you need to report anything different.

As the others suggested, checking the state code when you encounter something odd with internet performance helps us focus our troubleshooting.

Thanks,

Liz

Thanks. Glad to say it was still on this morning, too.

Awesome!

capnzathrus
Sophomore

Received the modem, yesterday and installed. Woke up with no internet access, again. Another family member is usually still online when it goes out and told me it seems to go out somewhere between 10:30-11:30PM. I can only assume the dish needs either re-pointed, because of satellite drift or there is another issue with the dish. Within the last couple months, we did have extremely high winds during a couple storms. Neither my desktop or laptop have internet access. Both connected to the modem, but say "no internet". Browsers open to error pages. Went to the web acceleration setting and clicked to disable and it did nothing. Just stayed on and green. Clicked Reset MBX and just stuck on Resetting. Rebooted modem and had internet access and those settings work.
maratsade

That's just crazy. I hope that next week the mods ( @Liz  ) can figure out what's going on and get it fixed for you.

Yeah, I hope so, too. Really don't like having to mess with the modem every morning. Hate having a tech guy out here, but seems like it has to be done.
maratsade

You shouldn't have to mess with the equipment like that every day, and I'm sure they don't want that either. Sometimes these things take a while to figure out, but I hope it will be fixed quickly in your case. I imagine sending you a new modem was to make sure it wasn't a modem issue. Now they can focus on the dish.  Is your residence remote? Would a tech guy have to traipse through wilderness?