Modem doesn't connect to internet

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GerryS
New Poster

Modem doesn't connect to internet

I can access the modem via IP (192.168.42.1), but not via systemcontrolcenter.com. No internet connection when connected (via WiFi or direct ethernet cable), and the "system" light on the front of the modem is not on. I've powered it off (unplugged for 10 minutes) and also used the "reboot" feature in the control panel. Anything else I should try before concluding the modem is shot? Is there any chance this is anything other than a modem failure?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi GerryS,

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community! I pulled up your account and am also unable to communicate with your modem, so let try replacing it first to see if that gets you back online. 

Please expect a replacement modem soon. You can return your old modem in the box the replacement comes in; there will be a return shipping label in the outer pouch for your convenience.

Let me know how the new modem works out for you.

Thanks,
Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
MarkJFine
Professor

how about 192.168.0.1... x.x.42.1 is the wifi router subsection.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

I can't connect via 192.168.0.1

That's not good, but if you can't connect to 192.168.0.1, then how are you able to get access to the wifi menu on 192.168.42.1, since it has to go through it? Is 192.168.0.1 set as your gateway in your internet settings?

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

Come ot think of it, x.x.42.1 will work as the gateway. Wondering if the modem's interface software is running. Might want to reboot the modem to kick-start the internal software and see if you can access it afterwards (might want to wait 5 minutes after rebooting while it re-aquires and gets updates from the network).

When I go to 192.168.1.42, I get a login screen and just log in there. In ipconfig, the default gateway shows as 192.168.1.42.

Hi GerryS,

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community! I pulled up your account and am also unable to communicate with your modem, so let try replacing it first to see if that gets you back online. 

Please expect a replacement modem soon. You can return your old modem in the box the replacement comes in; there will be a return shipping label in the outer pouch for your convenience.

Let me know how the new modem works out for you.

Thanks,
Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Liz,  I have the same problem and I have requested a new modem and have not heard back.   Right now i work in a tax preperation office and I cannot meet with a technician until after April 15th. I would love to purchase a new modem.  Can you help me with that?  Thank you.  Debbie Poston

maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

Debbie, for your protection, you may want to edit out your SAN# from your post. The reps here can find info without you posting it; if they need anything they will ask you to send it privately.  To edit your post, click on the 3 vertical dots on the upper right hand corner of the post. 

Thank you so much for letting me know.

maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

You're very welcome! 

DEBPOSTON wrote:

Thank you so much for letting me know.

Liz, the new modem works. I mean, it actually works. Like, there's stuff out there on the interwebs!! 😄

Seriously, all I had to do was plug it in and change the WiFi SSID and password to what I was using before, and we're back up and running. The connection is pretty slow (I stopped timing the load time for the myHughesNet front page at 90 seconds), but at least it's there. I've created an account at testmy.net, and I'll post when I have some results, or if the connection improves on its own.

In the meantime, I'll go mark your previous reply as the solution. THANK YOU!!

Thank you so much. 

Good morning Gerry,

Glad to hear you're back online and that the modem setup went smoothly! Happy to have helped. I'll go ahead and close this thread since the original concern with lack of connectivity was addressed. Feel free to start a new thread for any other issues.

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

Thanks,

Liz

Liz

Hi DEBPOSTON, 

Thanks for reaching out. I located your account and ran diagnostics on your site; I decided to send you a replacement modem as well. If you still have concerns after swapping modems, please start your own thread so we can troubleshoot there and keep this thread open for for the original poster, GerryS, in case he still has questions.

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

Thanks,

Liz

I just wanted to thank you so much.  This is a big help to me.