Modem lights flash out and power light red

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wildchild
New Poster

Modem lights flash out and power light red

I recently had a power surge and it seems to have knocked out my modem.  After resetting it the lights will come on then flash off and not come back on and stay on no matter how long I wait. The lights will flash every once and sometimes the power light flashes with them.  I’ve noticed that the power light seems to be red when it flashes and has a red tint behind it when it is on. 

I have tried unplugging it, plugging it in to a different outlet and checked all the cables to be sure everything is in snuggly.  If I leave it plugged in for too long it seems to become extremely hot and I worry about it overheating while I’m away at work. I usually try to see if it will work again when I’m home in the evening.

I have 2 modems, one in the house which is working fine and one in the barn. It seems the power surge only affected the modem in my barn.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Wildchild, I've checked your account and see no communication still. I'm sorry I didn't catch this beforehand, looks as though BirdDog would be correct in the assumption that something might've happened to the radio from the power surge. To get this replaced, I've scheduled you for our earliest appointment available for a free technician visit. You'll receive a call or text to confirm the appointment or reschedule if necessary. 

Hopefully this takes care of you! 

-Brooke

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Brooke
Alum

Hello wildchild, thanks for reaching out to us here in the community and welcome! I was able to locate your account for the modem in your barn, which is showing no communications on our end. Based on your description, I would agree it sounds as though the power surge affected your modem. 

I've expedited a new modem and waived the shipping fee for you. Let me know how everything goes once you receive it. 

-Brooke

@Brooke, the new modem came in and I hooked it up and waited the 60 minutes it calls for but it still didn’t work after the allotted time.  I left it alone for the rest of the night to see if it just needed more time but this morning it was doing exactly what the old modem was doing. I’ve left it plugged in for now but I’m not sure what to do from here.

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

That sounds like the radio on the dish could be fried and drawing too much current. You'll probably need a tech to come out and may be Monday before Brooke replies.

I was afraid it might be the dish after this morning. I figured it would be Monday before a reply too from other postings I’ve seen.  Thanks for the info, at least I have some of idea of what it could be.

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

@wildchild wrote:

@Brooke, the new modem came in and I hooked it up and waited the 60 minutes it calls for but it still didn’t work after the allotted time.  I left it alone for the rest of the night to see if it just needed more time but this morning it was doing exactly what the old modem was doing. I’ve left it plugged in for now but I’m not sure what to do from here.

Brooke, wanted to be sure you saw this.

Wildchild, I've checked your account and see no communication still. I'm sorry I didn't catch this beforehand, looks as though BirdDog would be correct in the assumption that something might've happened to the radio from the power surge. To get this replaced, I've scheduled you for our earliest appointment available for a free technician visit. You'll receive a call or text to confirm the appointment or reschedule if necessary. 

Hopefully this takes care of you! 

-Brooke

@Brooke, thank you so much for all the help.  The tech was out earlier today and able to replace/repair all the problem pieces.  We believe it was a close lightning strike that caused a surge and overload on the equipment. Everything is up and working now. Thank you @BirdDog as well for the help and guidance for a newbie like me.

Yay!! I'm so glad. Thanks for letting me know too! 

-Brooke