Hughesnet Community

Modem remote diagnostics needed. (Forgetting DNS info)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
atlantia
New Poster

Modem remote diagnostics needed. (Forgetting DNS info)

Can one of the admins run a remote diagnostic on my modem.

The issue:

My modem seems to "go stupid" and forget it's DNS Cache. I can open a site and it will open fine, then after about 15 min if I refesh the page or open another link on the same site, I get the following:Gone Stupid.jpg

This seems to affect secure websites (https).

I have no issues with speed or the service but the only way I can fix this is to reboot the modem when it gets into this state. Once the modem completes its reboot, I can refresh the page and it will load correctly and everything will keep working until it "goes stupid" again (usually 15-30 min). Then another reboot and repeat the process (which all of these page reloads are wasting my data). Been so bad the last few days that I keep the systemcontrol center open in a tab on my browser so I can hit the "reboot" button.

I have this issue across multiple browsers and devices connected via wifi or ethernet.

It will also cause pages to partially load when the modem loses the DNS for the various elements of the site I am visitng (Images, stylesheets, etc.) as well.

The reboots seem to be getting more and more frequent. If the problem isn't my modem, there is a serious network issue going on that needs looking into.

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Liz

Thanks for trying and letting me know, atlantia. I'm sending you a replacement modem which should arrive soon. You can use the replacement's box to return the old modem. The return label is in the outer pouch for your convenience. Let me know if this persists after swapping modems.

Thanks,

Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Liz

Hi atlantia,

I see it's your first post here, so welcome to the community! Thank you for these details, this helps. Does this persist on multiple devices?

What our engineers typically suggest for this sort of thing is to try disabling IPv6 on the device accessing the secured site. If you're unable to locate instructions on how to disable IPv6 for your device, please let me know so I can assist. Please let me know how that works out for you.

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

Thanks,

Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Hi Liz,

IpV6 was already disabled. Same results. I also spent quite a bit of time flushing the dns cache on my devices, disabling firewalls and anti virus software, testing different browsers, devices, The only thing that temporarily fixes the issue is to reboot the modem. As a matter of fact, I had to perform a reboot to access this forum to post this. I even tried third party DNS servers but when the modem goes stupid it cant even get to those.

Hi atlantia, 

It's been a while since we last heard from you, so we will close this thread. If you still have concerns, please start a new thread and include a detailed explanation so we can better assist you.

Thanks,

Liz

Liz

Thanks for trying and letting me know, atlantia. I'm sending you a replacement modem which should arrive soon. You can use the replacement's box to return the old modem. The return label is in the outer pouch for your convenience. Let me know if this persists after swapping modems.

Thanks,

Liz