cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Roseht
Freshman

New Gen 5

Hello,

I am a new customer that just got Gen 5 installed yesterday. Last night while my wife and I were using it we noticed things were very slow. Before getting the service I  did my research and knew that everyone here uses Testmy so i ran a 12 MB test a few times, and my results were all below 2 Mb, one result going below 1 Mb. While on your forums I came across another person that had bandwidth issues with Gen 5 and it turns out they were pointed at the wrong satellite. Could this be my issue? how could I tell which one I am pointed at? Any help would be great. Sorry for the two post, it was suggested I create my own topic.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Liz

Hi Roseht,

Thank you again for replying to my PM and working with us to address your concerns. All the details are in my last PM to you. Please don't hesitate to contact us again if you have any additional concerns, we're glad to help.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

View solution in original post

20 REPLIES 20
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

If you visit http://systemcontrolcenter.com and click system status, then look under system status at IP Gateway Association State, it will say something like "Associated (Data IPGW - xx#########)" the XX should be J1 or J2, which indicates what satellite you are pointed to.

As far as what satellite you are pointed to, it's decided by Hughesnet for load balancing purposes, we don't have a real say in which satellite we will get pointed to, especially once J1 load is reduced in an area.  But, most all installs should be JupiterII only unless the installer can not get a LOS to JupiterII, then they can use Jupiter1 if I am not mistaken - would require Liz or someone that does installs to confirm that.

In order to help the Hughesnet Customer Service Reps get a head start on your speed concerns, you should create a testmy.net account and perform 3-5 tests during different parts of the day, all using a 12MB manual download test. Then share the account results link with us here.

Please keep in mind that Hughesnet will only accept testmy.net and the official Hughesnet speed test results. Tests from other sites like speedtest.net are not accepted due to the compression technologies and latency that satellite deploys.

Most important points:
-do the tests while directly connected to the HughesNet modem with a LAN cable (NO ROUTER or Wireless devices)
-use the 12MB size download test file
-space each test at least 5 minutes apart
-post your results URL here, it may look something like http://testmy.net/quickstats/C0RR0SIVE

For a more in depth guide on running the tests, please visit: http://customer.kb.hughesnet.com/Pages/7001.aspx

The Reps are on M-F from approximately 8AM to 5PM Eastern.

@C0RR0SIVE wrote:

Most important points:
-do the tests while directly connected to the HughesNet modem with a LAN cable (NO ROUTER or Wireless devices)

Since the Gen 5 modem has the router built in how will the diagnostics such as this change?  Tech Support seemed to always point their finger at the router as being the problem (probably with cause), I'm just curious how it being part of the modem will complicate the troubleshooting.

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Should probably state no third party router or wifi... We are using macros and I haven't had time to update them or come up with new testing methods.

Thanks for the information C0RR0SIVE, I just checked and it says I am connected to Echostar 17. I'll run the speed test tonight, but I believe I am supposed to be connected to Echostar 19? As far as LOS I live on top of a hill, and dish is on my roof with the nearest obstruction being .5 miles away. When signing up I signed up for full Gen 5, seems I am on the old Satellite which to my understanding is under heavy load.

Thanks for the information C0RR0SIVE, I just checked and it says I am connected to Echostar 17. I'll run the speed test tonight, but I believe I am supposed to be connected to Echostar 19? As far as LOS I live on top of a hill, and dish is on my roof with the nearest obstruction being .5 miles away. When signing up I signed up for full Gen 5, seems I am on the old Satellite which to my understanding is under heavy load.

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Hrm, I am not aware of them selling Gen5 service on Echostar 17 just yet...  Should only be Echostar 19... But the slow speeds are kind of expected right now with Echostar 17 since its pretty much overloaded... I personally wouldn't bother with speedtests unless I wanted to make a record of what I am seeing for now, as they wont be of much use currently..

@Liz, do you have any insight on why he/she would be on Echostar 17 instead of Echostar19?

Thanks for the quick response I appreciate it, I'll wait for Liz to respond.

Good morning Roseht,

Welcome and thanks for posting. I was able to pull up your account and confirm that you are on EchoStar 17, which is odd. Let me investigate further as to why. As C0RR0SIVE indicated, we're not yet providing Gen 5 plans via EchoStar 17.

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Thanks for the update. I'm sure it's well known but it was very slow again last night, hoping this can be resolved soon.

Hi Roseht,

Thank you so much for your patience as we investigated your account. Apparently there was no mistake, you are pointed at EchoStar 17 because you're located in an area not covered by EchoStar 19. Here's a map of the EchoStar 19 beams in blue, it might be hard to see since the EchoStar 17 beams are underneath in white. You'll find that a large portion of Wisconsin, as well as Iowa, is not covered by EchoStar 19. 

We definitely want to address your speed concerns, so I ran diagnostics on your site to ensure the HughesNet equipment is functioning properly. I see there may be something the matter with the radio or at least the connection to it. Can you please ensure that the coaxial cable connected to the HughesNet modem is tightly connected? Once that connector is confirmed to be secure, please let me know so I can run new diagnostics.

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

Love the map, would there be any way to see the coverage of Spaceway 3 for those of us that are intereted?

*edit* never mind, I found the satbeams website. 🙂

@Liz wrote:

Thank you so much for your patience as we investigated your account. Apparently there was no mistake, you are pointed at EchoStar 17 because you're located in an area not covered by EchoStar 19. Here's a map of the EchoStar 19 beams in blue, it might be hard to see since the EchoStar 17 beams are underneath in white. You'll find that a large portion of Wisconsin, as well as Iowa, is not covered by EchoStar 19. 

It is situations such as these that cause me great concern on signing up for an upgrade to Gen 5.  Everyone makes "Gen 5" sounds so great, but in fact your chances of realizing the promise of a Gen 5 upgrade hinges on whether you'll be able to use J2/EchoStar19 with the HT2000W modem.  It seems like the sales force is fine with selling you something they call Gen 5 that isn't really that configuration.  The squishy language and hype is very disconcerting.  How can I be ABSOLUTELY certain that when I order an upgrade that it is going to be on the J2/EchoStar19 with the HT2000W modem?  I was surprised to hear that J2/EchoStar19 doesn't cover the whole continental US.  A sales rep assured me it did and that it was certain I would be serviced by it. I'm sorry, but the map you provided is undecipherable to me.  I can't really pinpoint where I'm located on that map and even if I could the overlay's seem meaningless to me.  Sorry to be so dense -- maybe my poor eyesight is a factor.  Can I really expect to get an honest answer to the question I pose from the sales force.  Sorry, to be such a cynic when it comes to the hughesnet sales force, but I've seen SOOOO many horror stories on this board that makes me feel that way.

Liz wrote: Here's a map of the EchoStar 19 beams in blue, it might be hard to see since the EchoStar 17 beams are underneath in white. You'll find that a large portion of Wisconsin, as well as Iowa, is not covered by EchoStar 19.

Forgive me for being unable to read / comprehend the map to which Liz refers.  Can someone who does understand it look at my location (see below) and tell me if I'll be served by an EchoStar19 (J2) beam?my locationmy location

Thanks.

If that is where you are physically locatd then yes, you should be in Echostar 19/Jupiter 2 range.

Thanks, Corrosive! I wish I knew this before my system was installed 2 days ago. This would have saved me a lot of wasted time and frustration. Hughesnet should post this on their main website!

motobojo- We can see how you might be concerned, particularly when a new poster happened to be in  the very small Jupiter 1 area.  We're moving thousands of customers off #1 and on to #2 everyday, balancing the network to provide the promised performance for those served by both satellites.  With exceptions, like michaelbutler, we're working with him to resolve his issue today.   We're happy to have you posting.

Hi tampasteve1,

Glad you found that satbeams site, it's pretty cool! Spaceway 3 coverage is pretty easy--it covers all of the continental US. Pre-EchoStar 19, this enabled us to provide service to those outside of the EchoStar 17 footprint, so if we found someone outside of that footprint, they could at least get coverage from Spaceway 3.

albrrmrz7
New Poster

When I first had my new Gen % started it was slow because updates were being downloaded and installed. after two days my updates installed and i have consistant 20 MB per second download and 5 MB per second upload im happy!

Liz

Hi Roseht,

Thank you again for replying to my PM and working with us to address your concerns. All the details are in my last PM to you. Please don't hesitate to contact us again if you have any additional concerns, we're glad to help.