New to Hughes Net and need help

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kaiserfamily
Sophomore

New to Hughes Net and need help

As most of you know Hughes Net does not behave like normal wifi so I need a little help.

Issues:

• No signals out of the house so wifi is dead when it rains or snows
  • Amazon firestick KODI no longer works. Firestick is on 4K TV.

Any help would be appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Solution that has lasted almost a week.

1. Switched back down to Kodi 17.3

2. Dropped convenant and picked up others

3. Watch more on my netflix and vudu accounts

4. HughesNet did not have my router synced correctly so they reset it.

I started getting great download speed.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Wifi is wifi, if you want signal in an area where there is little, or no signal, you will have to install and use a Wifi Network Extender/Booster to get signal into such areas.

As far as the Amazon Firestick not working... 

Have you connected it to your wifi network since getting Hughesnet service installed?

Do any other apps on the Firestick work?
When using Kodi, are you using other add-ons, if so, which ones?
When using Kodi, are you trying to stream content that's online, or that's being hosted locally on your network?  Kodi typically depends on local content unless an add-on has been installed.

My tv is a roku tv. Everything on that works smooth. Amazon firestick apps work fine except for kodi. It is running 17.5 with covenant. I am online streaming. I can start the stream but then it buffers and gets stopped.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

@Kaiserfamily wrote:
My tv is a roku tv. Everything on that works smooth. Amazon firestick apps work fine except for kodi. It is running 17.5 with covenant. I am online streaming. I can start the stream but then it buffers and gets stopped.

That sounds like a problem with Kodi then. If you're running a plug-in to watch unlicensed content then it might be getting cut off at the content end. Also what definition is it trying to stream?

I've read Kodi is getting hit with liscence problems because they allow unauthorized (unpaid) content streaming with some add ons. I have a Pi 3 Kodi box myself but use it as a local media server and have not tried online streaming with it.

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

@BirdDog wrote:

@Kaiserfamily wrote:

That sounds like a problem with Kodi then. If you're running a plug-in to watch unlicensed content then it might be getting cut off at the content end. Also what definition is it trying to stream?

I've read Kodi is getting hit with liscence problems because they allow unauthorized (unpaid) content streaming with some add ons. I have a Pi 3 Kodi box myself but use it as a local media server and have not tried online streaming with it.

PS: may want to watch this and do other searches about the problem:  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LI5SzOim4cA

Solution that has lasted almost a week.

1. Switched back down to Kodi 17.3

2. Dropped convenant and picked up others

3. Watch more on my netflix and vudu accounts

4. HughesNet did not have my router synced correctly so they reset it.

I started getting great download speed.

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Outside rain and snow have no impact on your indoor WiFi unless you are losing a good satellite signal because of it which feeds your WiFi network.

Need to try to keep snow off the dish as it can impact your signal. Ice even more so.

Like CORROSIVE says, the coverage of your WiFi  indoor signal is on the customer for the most part. The built-in HughesNet WiFi is not powerfull enough to reach all devices in all situations. Even a beefed up system with extenders and such will still have limitiations in certain situations and location of the extender and devices.