No access to router on 192.168.0.1

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
plongson
Freshman

No access to router on 192.168.0.1

Still getting up to speed on HughesNet...

The HT2000w has all the radios disabled and I'm running through a D-Link 655 with Ubiquiti AP's at this location.

I'm trying to get the HN usage meter program up and going on this local PC but typing 192.168.0.1 in the browser results in no connection..."Site cannot be reached"...likewise starting the usage program from the system tray.

Obviously it's not making connection to the modem/router. Is it the fact the radios are off?? Will the usage meter not work with the radios off.

Usage gotten from the other HN options is also inconsistant...sometimes showing 98% the next showing 100%.

Any information on this is greatly appreciated!

Paul 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

It's a complicated scenario...

The HT2000w has three addresses, and your DLink router should have one address on the "LAN" side...

HT2000w Modem: 192.168.0.1
HT2000w Router: 192.168.42.1
HT2000w Guest Wifi: 192.168.43.1

hrm.png

When you look at the WebGUI for your DLink router, what address are you using to access it?  What page pulls up when you attempt to visit http://192.168.0.1 ?
Can you screenshot and show us the Dlink WAN Configuration page, as well as the LAN Configuration page?

According to page 15 of the manual for your Dlink Router, it uses a default address of 192.168.0.1 in the LAN configuration, which you must change to a subnet that the HT2000w isn't using.  So on the LAN Configuration of the DLink Router, set it to 192.168.2.1 with a subnet of 255.255.255.0

I strongly urge against changing any of the LAN settings of your HT2000w, such as the IP address or subnet.

Basically, what is happening is that your computer is asking "Hey, 192.168.0.1, what's up?" and the first device going back down the chain from the computer responds, instead of the device that should be.  The chain being HT2000w > Dlink > Computer

THAT, or, your Dlink has some form of a firewall that dislikes routing private address spaces.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
MarkJFine
Professor

Take a look at whatever the IP is that the D-Link is set up as the gateway IP address. Usually it's 192.168.0.1, but it might be something different in your configuration. It's also possible it or the mask (should be 255.255.255.0) was set incorrectly. Either way, that's the IP you want to use in the Usage Meter, as well as the web browser.

The Usage Meter and the configuration pages do not need wifi to operate, but it does need to communicate with the modem at that IP (which in turn needs to communicate with HN).

Worthwhile to note that it does take a few minutes after rebooting the modem for the configuration pages to be active.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

THANKS for the reply...

The address on the D-Link is 192.168.1.1

Digging deaper into what apears to be router settings, I'm seeing 192.168.42.1

Can I or SHOULD I change that setting to 192.168.1.1?? and will that get me access to the meter software?

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

It's a complicated scenario...

The HT2000w has three addresses, and your DLink router should have one address on the "LAN" side...

HT2000w Modem: 192.168.0.1
HT2000w Router: 192.168.42.1
HT2000w Guest Wifi: 192.168.43.1

hrm.png

When you look at the WebGUI for your DLink router, what address are you using to access it?  What page pulls up when you attempt to visit http://192.168.0.1 ?
Can you screenshot and show us the Dlink WAN Configuration page, as well as the LAN Configuration page?

According to page 15 of the manual for your Dlink Router, it uses a default address of 192.168.0.1 in the LAN configuration, which you must change to a subnet that the HT2000w isn't using.  So on the LAN Configuration of the DLink Router, set it to 192.168.2.1 with a subnet of 255.255.255.0

I strongly urge against changing any of the LAN settings of your HT2000w, such as the IP address or subnet.

Basically, what is happening is that your computer is asking "Hey, 192.168.0.1, what's up?" and the first device going back down the chain from the computer responds, instead of the device that should be.  The chain being HT2000w > Dlink > Computer

THAT, or, your Dlink has some form of a firewall that dislikes routing private address spaces.

Here is some follow up info...a bit confused, I'm not seeing a conflict.

What page pulls up when you attempt to visit http://192.168.0.1 ? Capture1.JPGCan you screenshot and show us the Dlink WAN Configuration page, as well as the LAN Configuration page?

Capture.JPG

Gonna try that next tomorrow, I'll post how it goes.

OK...here's the results from this morning test...first, the setup.

Satellite  > HT2000W  >  D-Link modem  >  Ubiquiti UniFi AP  >  Local PC

Hopefully you get the picture...

1.) Connect PC to HT2000w direct via cable, 192.168.0.1 pops right up.

a.) Usage meter in sys tray works

b.) Usage meter shortcut on desktop clicks but never opens

c.) The hard cable connection would drop connectivity every minute or so and require replugging the                   cable. VERY strange.

2.) Connect PC WIRELESS to D-Link modem, 192.168.0.1 pops right up.

a.) Usage meter in sys tray works

b.) Usage meter shortcut on desktop clicks but never opens

3.) Connect PC WIRELESS to Ubiquiti AP

a.) 192.168.0.1 will not open

b.) HughesNet System Control Center opens....slowly.

c.) Usage meter in sys tray has no connectivity.

It looks like there is blockage at the AP settings that won't allow access to 192.168.0.1

I guess I could flip back and forth between the Ubiquiti AP and D-Link but I want it to work on the AP.

Any thoughts?

THANKS AGAIN for all your time!!

Paul

My guess regarding 1.b and 2.b is that the shortcut is to start the sys tray widget, not necessarily open it. It's that way on Macs as well.

The issue betwen the D-Link and Ubiquiti is curious though. It almost sounds as if something is clashing with the rest of the network.

Also am unfamiliar how you're using the Ubiquiti (wired or wifi to D-Link, etc.) and if wifi, if the protocols are compatible. Almost seems as if it needs to be on it's own subnet from the D-Link to work correctly - saying that, you may have mentioned trying to use 192.168.2.x on this and 192.168.1.x on the D-Link already and I just missed it.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.