Hughesnet Community

Relocate my Hughes satellite internet service or buy local telco offering?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kafka
Sophomore

Relocate my Hughes satellite internet service or buy local telco offering?

Relocate my Hughes satellite service or buy local telco offering?

I slipped and fell on some ice late last fall and eventually couldn't reliably make the trek back up and down the hill to my old place where I was living and have my satellite dish and equipment. I have recently moved into an old folks' home.

I haven't been able to use my hughes satellite internet service for the last few months but I have been paying the bill as agreed.

I'd like to find out what it would cost for me to move my hughes satellite service and keep the hughes service versus buying the local telco monopoly offering which appears to cost about half as much per month as my hughes satellite internet currently costs.

I bought, up-front, all of the hughes equipment since I was too poor to have any credit, so I own all the equipment. The new location is about 20+ miles north of the old place. It is much lower in altitude, and has some areas of nearly flat land. The climate is nicer. I am told that I can obtain a letter of permission from the property owner of the old folks' home for professional installation of a dish on the roof where I now live. There is currently a dish network satellite TV dish there for which I have no use. I don't know if the mounts are the same for the dishes but that dish is there already. It may be an easy job.

I still have about five or six months left on my original comittment to hughes service, which was for two years. I would like to balance cost/benefit to moving my hughes service versus abandoning it and going with the local telco monoplly which claims to cost about half the monthly cost for relatively similar service to what I get through my hughes satellite service.

I had some nice interaction with Liz last time I was here and would like to deal with her if possible.

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

It's now about a month later.

As I mentioned above, the work was scheduled promptly, carried out quickly, and done well.

Now, the billing has taken place and all was as Liz stated it would be.

And they all are indeed living happily ever after.

Thanks again, Liz

I will mark this thread solved.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Liz

Good morning Kafka,

You're in luck! Let me look into this for you and I'll private message you with the details.  Please check your private messages (PM) in the top right corner of the community page where I will send you a PM to further address your concerns.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

Liz:

Thank you for timely response, Liz.

PM sent...

Hi Kafka,

Thanks for the PM! I've replied, but it was too lenghty for one message, so you'll find it split over two PMs.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Liz:

PM received and replied to.

Thanks,

-k

Thanks Kafka! I've sent you more info, it's split into two PMs again.

Thanks once again to Liz.

I have decided to keep my Hughes' satellite internet service to the new location.

The process was swift and nearly painless.

If folks are able to use the Hughes satellite internet in a way that works for them, I highly recommend it. 

It works for me.

The following is perhaps the final piece of information relevent to this thread.

The move date for my Hughes satellite internet service was scheduled tentatively with the assistance of Liz here in the online Hughes support community. I was soon contacted by the installation contractor to arrange the exact time for the move to occur.

The installation technician appeared on time and executed the installation work quickly and elegantly.

And they all lived happily ever after...

Thanks again, Liz.

-k

Good morning Kafka,

Thanks so much for letting us know how the move went! I'm happy to hear it went well, I appreciate you taking the time to post about it. I'll be sure to pass along your comments to our installs department. We're always here if you need help, just drop a post in the community. 🙂

It's now about a month later.

As I mentioned above, the work was scheduled promptly, carried out quickly, and done well.

Now, the billing has taken place and all was as Liz stated it would be.

And they all are indeed living happily ever after.

Thanks again, Liz

I will mark this thread solved.