Remote Router Reboot - important enhancement request

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kmundy
Freshman

Remote Router Reboot - important enhancement request

I've been looking at postings from people who live 3-4 hours away from their vacation homes. This is exactly my own situation.

We use hughestnet with wyze to operate our home monitoring solution, which enables us to monitor the home realtime year round. (When we are at the house, we use a cellular wifi solution, which is a lot faster than Hughestnet at our location. So the main purpose we use Hughesnet is for this remote monitoring).

Occasionally due to bad weather or some other issues, internet goes down. Hughesnet Support currently requires customers to drive to their home and be onsite to diagnose the issue. When it's a case of the antenna being misaligned, that's okay. But frequently a simple reboot of the router will fix the problem. The fact that customers cannot reboot their modems remotely is a real problem for customers like us, who live 3-4 hours away from our homes.

With the increasing number of wifi enabled remote devices, this problem will only increase for Hughesnet customers in the future. Sat-com providers should provide a way for customers to be able to remotely reboot their own routers. From the forums I can see that Techs have occasionally done this for customers, so it should simply be a matter of making this facility available via a customers account.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Liz

Hi kmundy,

I see it's your first post here, so welcome to the community! Thank you for your suggestion, I think that's a fine idea. I'll send this up for consideration; your feedback is valuable to us and helps us improve the service.

Our phone reps can reboot your modem remotely; it may be part of troubleshooting. You can also ask one of us mods here in the community or on social media to do so if that's all you need. 

-Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

I'm sure the reps here will send your suggestion up the food chain.

As for this: "But frequently a simple reboot of the router will fix the problem. The fact that customers cannot reboot their modems remotely is a real problem for customers like us, who live 3-4 hours away from our homes," I'm not 100% sure, but I thought the phone reps can reboot your system remotely.  @Liz  or another rep will likely pipe up about all this. 

Liz

Hi kmundy,

I see it's your first post here, so welcome to the community! Thank you for your suggestion, I think that's a fine idea. I'll send this up for consideration; your feedback is valuable to us and helps us improve the service.

Our phone reps can reboot your modem remotely; it may be part of troubleshooting. You can also ask one of us mods here in the community or on social media to do so if that's all you need. 

-Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Hi Liz, 

Thanks!  And yes please, could you please reboot our modem? Hoping that will solve the issue!

Many thanks!

Kiran

Sure thing, kmundy. Before I reboot, I want to be sure I'm looking at the right account- is your SAN (account number) the one ending in 25?

-Liz

Edit:
 Nevermind, I found you... it's the one ending in 08

Edit 2:

I rebooted the modem and the diagnostics are all good. However, FYI I'm not seeing any connected devices.

Thanks!! My devices have not come online.

If you're able to see diagnostics, then the router is probably online, which indicates it's not a solar system power issue. Probably a problem with the devices. We'll just have to make a trip to figure it out!

Many thanks for your help!!

Alrighty, you're welcome! Happy to help.

-Liz