Short story: Hughes replaced our modem and antenna transponder after a nearby lightning strike fried both. We had no problems restoring our WIFI to our desktop PCs and smartphones, but we immediately got "This site can't be reached...ERR_ADDRESS_UNREACHABLE" errors for some of the websites we typically visit, including Amazon. Never had this problem before the new modem was installed. We've powered off and reset the modem and all our devices multiple times, no help. I changed the DNS settings on one of our desktops to 188.8.131.52 and 184.108.40.206 (Google DNS) and now that PC can get to any site I try to visit. I installed a DNS changer app on my Android smartphone to do the same, but that has not helped. Our smartphones have no trouble getting to any site if we disable the phones' WIFI and consume our cellphone carrier data plan (AT&T).
Hughes, what changed with the installation of the new modem (HT2000W), and what will it take to fix it?
Solved! Go to Solution.
Humor me... It's very possible that there is a corrupted DNS record that is just hopping from one device to the other - it happens. They propagate between devices depending on what each device uses as it's DNS 'server', so switching things around wrt to the DNS is just complicating things. Please try the following steps in the order stated, which is the only way to ensure it's been eliminated:
1. Turn every device using the internet off (computer, phone, tablet...) - everything but the modem must be powered off first.
2. Reboot the HughesNet modem by unplugging its power plug from the wall socket.
3. Wait a minute, and plug the modem back in.
4. Wait another minute until the modem is fully online (all front panel indicators are back on) and start turning your devices back on, one by one.
There's currently an intermittent problem involving connections to Amazon and others that use Amazon Web Services servers with some installations. The fact that it happened with a replaced modem is likely coincidental. It's currently being researched and should be fixed soon.
I've blocked them from every site I administer.
Edit: Except for about 4 IPs that needed to be keyholed in to support one thing.
Perhaps, in your case, there was an issue with corrupted entries with the DNS cache. This is actually a more common problem than you'd think.
I'm glad you found the community, thank you for posting and sharing your findings. I'll send this over to engineering so they are aware. Just to confirm, you had a HT1100 before this last modem replacement? And per your latest post, you resolved the issue by changing the DNS on your desktop, but that the issue persists on the mobile devices despite trying a DNS changer app?
Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.
With regard to the phone, it's possible that the app isn't properly overriding HughesNet's own DNS. I found the following concerning a way to change the DNS directly in the phone without having to use any 3rd party app...
Also, have you tried changing the DNS in the HT2000W? I have mine set to Google's DNS and I don't have any of the issues you're experiencing. Then again, it's possible that it's your connection path due to your ground station's location that makes the difference, but it still might be worth a try. To change your HT2000W's DNS, do the following from a LAN cable connected device (in case something causes a WiFi connection loss)...
1. Go to this page, and use admin as the password to enter the WiFi Settings.
2. On the left, click on Advanced Setup, the DNS.
3. Uncheck "Obtain from ISP", enter the DNS info (220.127.116.11 and 18.104.22.168 for Google), then click Save Settings.
4. After the settings are saved, log out of and exit the WiFi Settings page.
After this, anything that is connected to the modem and set to automatically obtain the DNS should resolve to using Google's DNS, including your phone (you should disable or uninstall that DNS app if you do this, though make sure to set it back to automatic before doing so). You can leave the desktop set to Google's, or set it back to automatic. Either way, it should still use Google's DNS as long as the HT2000W is set this way.
This morning, before I saw your note, I found that my old Android phone WAS able to reach Amazon and other sites that hadn't been working. Coincidentally, I just received a new Android phone, and though it connects to my WIFI, it WAS NOT able to reach Amazon and the other sites. Puzzling.
Then I saw your note, and applied the DNS remapping to the Hughes modem. I rebooted everything after that. My desktop can reach Amazon etc. as before, but NEITHER of the Android phones can, the old one or the new one. Drat. I've just confirmed that the DNS remapping "took"--obtain from ISP is unchecked, and the DNS addresses are 22.214.171.124 and 126.96.36.199.
Now I'm thinking that either Hughes applied an overnight fix that made my old Android phone work briefly this morning and that fix was overcome by something else, or the problem itself is intermittent. But I still have the problem.