Usage of excess montly DATA

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
owenwalsh
Freshman

Usage of excess montly DATA

Dear HughesNet Management, I have been a loyal customer of HughesNet since 2003, and presently my service includes 50 GB daytime and 50 GB off hours. In the past, I have very rarely used my daytime allotment in any one monthly cycle. However, now that streaming is becoming a dominant force in entertainment, I think it is necessary to have a larger data allotment. Since I pay for 50 GB/month, it seems reasonable that whatever I don't use per month should be carried over to the following months. With this carry over type plan, I could stream more over the year than I can now. I tried to send this message to HughesNet management directly, but was unable to because they limit the number of words in an email communication.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Liz

Hi owenwalsh, 

I'm glad you found the community, thank you for posting (although it's not needed to post the same issue in multiple boards, just the one appropriate board will suffice).

We currently have no plans to carry surplus data into the next month, but should that change we will let you know. We really appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback, I'll send this up to manangement. 

Thanks,

Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
owenwalsh
Freshman

Dear HughesNet Management, I have been a loyal customer of HughesNet since 2003, and presently my service includes 50 GB daytime and 50 GB off hours. In the past, I have very rarely used my daytime allotment in any one monthly cycle. However, now that streaming is becoming a dominant force in entertainment, I think it is necessary to have a larger data allotment. Since I pay for 50 GB/month, it seems reasonable that whatever I don't use per month should be carried over to the following months. With this carry over type plan, I could stream more over the year than I can now. I tried to send this message to HughesNet management directly, but was unable to because they limit the number of words in an email communication.
owenwalsh
Freshman

Liz

Hi owenwalsh, 

I'm glad you found the community, thank you for posting (although it's not needed to post the same issue in multiple boards, just the one appropriate board will suffice).

We currently have no plans to carry surplus data into the next month, but should that change we will let you know. We really appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback, I'll send this up to manangement. 

Thanks,

Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

Thank you for your quick response. I certainly don't want to take the time to post on several boards, but unfortunately it is not clear which board is most appropriate. I would rather contact HughesNet directly, but their email communication is limited to a very few number of words.
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@owenwalsh 

Unfortunately, HughesNet can only offer data plans that its system can support.  Increasing those plans would have the detrimental effect of slowing the service.  Think a busy two lane road and then trying to double the traffic going down it, then triple, then quadruple and so on.  It gets slower and slower and slower.  Having a finite amount of high speed data per month 'forces' users to prioritize their activities, making the chances greater that the relatively limited throughput of the system will be enough for the subscriber base.  And though there are Data Tokens available when people need more high speed data, the toll they have on the system isn't a lot in comparison to what higher data plans or even data rollover would be.

When the new bird goes up next year they may very well have larger plans (I still doubt they'll have data rollover), but in the end HughesNet isn't really designed to compete with or be like ground based services when it comes to data intensive activities like streaming. 

maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

"I would rather contact HughesNet directly, but their email communication is limited to a very few number of words."

Try chat or the phone reps.