Video Data Saver missing...

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Video Data Saver missing...

My Video Data Saver is missing tonight.  I power cycled the modem and restarted my computer.  Neither helped.  It's not in the Usage Meter or the myAccount site.  Anyone else having this issue? 

Annotation 2018-11-19 234014.jpg

Annotation 2018-11-19 234137.jpg

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Hi Gabe,

Thank you for letting us know. I apologize this is happening again. I will have this escalated for you. 

Thanks,

*Felicia*

View solution in original post

Hi Gabe,

Our devs checked the VDS config stuff in the background and say all look correct. Can you please let me know if the setting is there now? Please log out fully before logging back in to check. Might as well clear the browser cache as well to be on the safe side. 

If it's still missing, please take a screenshot so I can send to the devs. Thank you!

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

View solution in original post

76 REPLIES 76

Hi Gabe, 

An engineer would like more details regarding the timing of the latest disappearance and re-appearance. He said it wouljd be a big help.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

GabeU

@Liz 

Sure.  I first noticed that it was missing shortly after I turned my computer on at about 1:30AM.  Shortly thereafter I restarted my modem, but to no avail.  This was with checking the Usage Meter and seeing that there was no Settings tab on the My Account site.  I then went to the Settings page on the My Account site at 1:43AM, according to the Chrome history, by manually changing the last part of the My Account site Usage page URL to "Settings", and though the page opened just fine the control wasn't there.  It said something like I'm not authorized at this time to have the control.  I really wish I would have gotten a screenshot.  I'll remember to if it happens again.  After doing other things, including being away from my computer for a few minutes at a time, I refreshed the Settings page at 2:59AM, according to the Chrome history, which had been open since I first went there, and the control was there.  

These times are in EST. 

--  Computer Logon around 1:30AM.  Modem plug in was probably about five or ten minutes before that.  

--  Checked Usage Meter around 1:35AM or so.  No VDS, and no Settings tab on the My Account page.

--  Manually got to Settings page at 1:43AM.  No control there, though the page loaded just fine.

--  Refreshed still open Settings page at 2:59AM, and control was then there.  

Hope this helps.  🙂  

This is great, thanks Gabe! Sending this right over. 🙂

GabeU

You're quite welcome.  I'm happy to help.  🙂  

Hi Gabe,

Do you recall the very first time VDS disappeared for you? I see this thread started Nov 19, but Hardy said this was happening *again* for you. The engineers are trying to pinpoint something.

stevef
Junior

So far, I never seen that video data saving thing. 4 days passed, but the Settings didn't show up, so far. 😞 

maratsade

Give them time to work on the issue -- they will fix it, but it may take longer than 4 days. 

*I am not a Hughesnet employee or representative. This is a customer-to-customer tech support community, and I am a customer.

stevef wrote:

So far, I never seen that video data saving thing. 4 days passed, but the Settings didn't show up, so far. 😞 

Thanks for the update Steve, I'll let the engineers know. Perhaps they can use your site as part of their current investigation.

Thank you, the settings showed up on the page today.

It's kinda confusing though. 

It says:

"This setting will automatically stream videos in DVD quality which uses less of your Data. When enabled, you can stream up to 3 times more video."

I watch videos in 144p and 360p. So how is watching videos in 480p uses less data than watching videos in 144p or 360p?

I have a feeling that it's not what I was hoping for, and the Data Saver Info FAQ is not telling what it is really. Is it just not letting a video player play anything in HD? If it is, then it's useless for me, as I never played anything in HD anyways, since I moved out a house with Cable Internet.

Or this Data Saver setting gives more speed post-data cap reaching? I was hoping for something like that.

maratsade

The VDS will make any video that's streaming at a higher quality stream at DVD quality.  If it's streaming at less than DVD quality then it won't need to do anything because the quality is already lower. 

I tried it, with and without it, Youtube automatically streams between 320p and 144p, but never 480p and especially not in HD.

It's exactly the same as Gen 4, except a lady told me in another thread that we need to pay about $200 more in the 2nd 12 months. I really hope that at least that can be solved. 😞 

GabeU

@stevef 

Being that this thread is more about the Video Data Saver control(s) playing a disappearing act for some, I'd start a new topic concerning the issue you're experiencing with videos not playing very well.  There are a variety of things that can cause this issue.  

Hi Steve,

Our engineers are still investigating the VDS issue, can you please check in with us throughout this week and let us know the status of your VDS settings?

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

Hi folks, 

We haven't heard any new complaints about the disappearing VDS act since our engineers implemented a fix, so we will consider this resolved. Our engineers really appreciate your help, and it was with your cooperation we were able to get this sorted out. If you have any other concerns, please start a new thread.