cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's location got to do with it?

Highlighted
Freshman

What's location got to do with it?

Some of you may have read my earlier post on how unhappy I am with Gen5 data losses.   I'm now looking for another provider.  It seems the only choice out here where I live ( in the woods ) is Viasat. 

So I go to their website, and the first thing they want to know is my zip code. What possible difference could my location make?  It certainly doesn't matter to the satellite where its signal ends up!

Then it hit me.  They want to know the other choices I have, and the competion they face, so they can design their plans and pricing for maximum profit.

This may also help explain why some people are not getting the data problems with Gen5 that I am.  Every time my modem reboots  it downloads software from the satellite.  Is this sofware customized for my location?  I beginning to suspect that this is so.

The bottom line is that I could upgrade Hughes to more data for about the same price as changing to Viasat ( What a coincidence! ). So, I guess I'll stay with Hughes for a while.   Even though I hate getting ripped of like this.

I'm coping right now by doing most of my browsing during the bonus period.  Otherwise I'd run out of data half wy through every month.  This NEVER happened with Gen4

24 REPLIES
Instructor

Re: What's location got to do with it?

The most dangerous form of Occam's Razor at work. Sometimes, the simplest deductions are not the correct ones, especially if they involve wild conspiracy theories.

Your zip code is used for sales applicability, the ability to find a cost-effective and technically qualified installer, and even tax purposes.

Oh, and your exect location is necessary for the ephemeris data required to aim and acquire the satellite.

My suggestion, if you truly have a data issue, is to do a little ground work using the tools found elsewhere on this board, and isolate what is causing the problem.

Assistant Professor

"The most dangerous form of Occam's Razor at work."

Extra kudos for mentioning Occam's Razor.  Shave with parsimony!

occam.jpg 

Instructor

@maratsade wrote:

Extra kudos for mentioning Occam's Razor.

On a related subject, I was going to make a comment about Fox News but refrained.

Assistant Professor

Comment about them,  BUT here's the challenge: you need to incorporate the following words: ripoff, cancel, dialup, and bleep.  

Example:

That Fox News is such a bleep ripoff! Their news stories are slower than dialup, and I want to cancel!

Viasat has different plans for different areas. Could be large beams or small beams. So to them it makes a difference. Hughesnet has the same planes nation wide.. Also when you reboot your modem it checks to see if it needs a software update. It doesn't update it every time. .

Freshman

@MarkJFine wrote:

The most dangerous form of Occam's Razor at work. Sometimes, the simplest deductions are not the correct ones, especially if they involve wild conspiracy theories.

Wild theory?   I've worked for large corporations al my life.   I know how corporate bean counerws think:

Your zip code is used for sales applicability, the ability to find a cost-effective and technically qualified installer, and even tax purposes.

The last time I used a qualified installer was with dish.  I had trouble from day one with that one.  When local people came our and looked at it, they were amazed that it ever worked since the dish was pointed at a large tree

Oh, and your exect location is necessary for the ephemeris data required to aim and acquire the satellite.

Why should this effect plans and pricing.

My suggestion, if you truly have a data issue, is to do a little ground work using the tools found elsewhere on this board, and isolate what is causing the problem.

I've done all that.  Gen4, no data losses, Gen5 large data losses.  Impossible to prove though

Instructor

"Why should this effect plans and pricing"? Aaaand you just reiterated a question that I'd already answered wrt to the zip code, showing you fully don't understand how this works, regardless of how well you think large corporations operate.

But I digress...

I give you the knowledge, you don't want to accept nor believe that knowledge, wanting to accept an unfactual conspiracy theory instead (why I was biting my tongue regarding make a crack about most Fox News watchers).

Bottom line: I just knew you'd think you'd have all the answers.

As you were.

Instructor

@gaines_wright

Actually, I should be more up-front. I saw an earlier post where you stated you were a retired developer.

I'm a retired operating/business unit operations director for a large corporation. IOW: You probably worked for a guy, that worked for a guy, who in turn worked for another guy, who worked for someone like me.

See, you might know how these companies work, but I might be a little more qualified to know how these companies work and why/what/where they are allowed to do it just a little it better than you.

Assistant Professor

"Gen4, no data losses, Gen5 large data losses.  Impossible to prove though"

This is not quite so, though. You can prove it; you just have to be willing to do the detective work. It  may take a while and it may not be easy, but it can be done.