WiFi booster wired connection

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BillSquared
New Poster

WiFi booster wired connection

I need to extend my existing Gen 5 service to a small outbuilding about 200 feet from my main router, and the wireless signal doesn’t reach that far. The WiFi booster has a wired port on it for initial setup. Can that be left permanently connected to extend the range over a wired connection for the first 200 feet and then create a WiFi hot spot in the outbuilding using the booster?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

I don't think it works that way. You connect it to the modem to sync the booster with the modem. After setting up the booster, you have to disconnect it from the modem,  as the booster needs to be moved to a location halfway between where you have good signal and where you have low or no signal. Once there, the booster needs to be plugged in so it can extend the signal.  It's not a hotspot, it's an extender. 

BillSquared wrote:
I need to extend my existing Gen 5 service to a small outbuilding about 200 feet from my main router, and the wireless signal doesn’t reach that far. The WiFi booster has a wired port on it for initial setup. Can that be left permanently connected to extend the range over a wired connection for the first 200 feet and then create a WiFi hot spot in the outbuilding using the booster?

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
maratsade

I don't think it works that way. You connect it to the modem to sync the booster with the modem. After setting up the booster, you have to disconnect it from the modem,  as the booster needs to be moved to a location halfway between where you have good signal and where you have low or no signal. Once there, the booster needs to be plugged in so it can extend the signal.  It's not a hotspot, it's an extender. 

BillSquared wrote:

GabeU

@BillSquared 

You'll likely either need to use some type of 3rd party, long range WiFi repeater setup, even using a 3rd party router, or an ethernet cable setup, which can be up to ~100 meters long.  

For reference, as maratsade intimated, the LAN port on the HughesNet WiFi Booster is strictly for the setup of the device.  It's defnitely not the device to use for the setup you desire.