area code

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
swcarson11
New Poster

area code

Why do I have to dial "1,area code" when calling someone in the same area code?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hello,

HughesNet moves the phone service through rate centers like any other provider does, but sometimes these centers can be outside what is considered a local rate center. More plainly, it's like a school zoning thing - a line on a map could mean that you and your neighbor went to a different school. This is a rare occurence as we do try to provide service through as many centers as possible to avoid this issue. 

However there is some good news! In asking around about this, I learned that soon (in the next couple of weeks) this will be a thing of the past and our customers who are affected will not have to do this any longer. I'll be sure to let you know when that happens!

Thank you,

Amanda

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Amanda

Hello swcarson11,

My coworker Liz is the resident VoIP expert but I think I can answer this. Our voice systems provide service to customers through "rate centers" which may be outside of the areas local rate center. Perhaps someone else can explain better than I can but I'll ask for a better explanation from our Voice team.

Thanks, 

Amanda

Then, the more confusing thing is that we had a tech out this morning to fix the voice system because it's been down for a few days. He replaced the modem. He was made aware of this problem while he was standing there. He fiddled with something and he said he fixed it. I guess that's not true? He really can't fix it locally?

alfresco
Senior

Nature of the beast. I've had Voip through a cable company for a couple of years before I switched to Hughesnet Voip.

I really don't understand. "Nature of the beast"  means that even though I'm in the 609 area code and I call someone in the 609 area code my rate center isn't in the 609 area code. How do I find out what rate center I'm in? What area code can I dial without havning to dial "1,area code" like most people I know?

Hello,

HughesNet moves the phone service through rate centers like any other provider does, but sometimes these centers can be outside what is considered a local rate center. More plainly, it's like a school zoning thing - a line on a map could mean that you and your neighbor went to a different school. This is a rare occurence as we do try to provide service through as many centers as possible to avoid this issue. 

However there is some good news! In asking around about this, I learned that soon (in the next couple of weeks) this will be a thing of the past and our customers who are affected will not have to do this any longer. I'll be sure to let you know when that happens!

Thank you,

Amanda