A Netgear router and 3rd party DNS..

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

A Netgear router and 3rd party DNS..

A question for @MarkJFine , or others who know...

I'm adding my Netgear router back into the mix to monitor my total data usage.  As in HT2000W >  Netgear Router > All Devices.  Just as when I'm only using the HT2000W, I want to use Google's DNS.  Presently, I have the HT2000W set to Google's DNS, and all of my devices' adapters set to automatic.  When I add the Netgear router, do I leave its DNS set to "Obtain from ISP", or do I change it to Google's DNS?  I think it's the former, as in the only thing I should have set to Google's DNS is the HT2000W, while leaving everything else on automatic.  Is this correct?

So, HT2000W (DNS set to Google's) > Netgear Router (DNS set to "Obtain automatically") > All Devices (DNS set to "Obtain automatically").

Thanks for the help.  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
MarkJFine
Professor

If you set the 2000W to all-8s (and 8.8.4.4) and everything after it to automatic (or, use ISP) they will all use Google's DNS.

Disclaimer: I know you have good results and prefer it, but I have had a much higher incidence of corrupted and spoofed DNS entries when I used to do that. Just be cautious and remember that HN's is protected from that within their own network.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
MarkJFine
Professor

If you set the 2000W to all-8s (and 8.8.4.4) and everything after it to automatic (or, use ISP) they will all use Google's DNS.

Disclaimer: I know you have good results and prefer it, but I have had a much higher incidence of corrupted and spoofed DNS entries when I used to do that. Just be cautious and remember that HN's is protected from that within their own network.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
GabeU

@MarkJFine 

Thanks for the router help, and the info about Google's DNS.  I mainly started using it due to problems I was having with a few websites, with Amazon being the main one.  The web pages would either not open at all, or they'd open, but with large parts of the page not loading, or loading in a faulty manner.  A DNS flush would often fix the problem, at least for a little while.  After I changed to Google's DNS I rarely had the issue(s), and on the occasion that I would switch back to HughesNet's DNS the problem would rear it's head again within a few days.  Because of that I finally just stuck with Google's DNS permanently.  

I do trust you about these kinds of things, and you know a heck of a lot more about them than I do, so maybe it's time to give HughesNet's DNS a try again.

GabeU

@MarkJFine 

What are your thoughts on OpenDNS?

Not a fan of any of them. All the publicly accessible DNSs are greatly subject to attack and spoofing.

GabeU

@MarkJFine wrote:

Not a fan of any of them. All the publicly accessible DNSs are greatly subject to attack and spoofing.

Ah.  That makes sense.  Thanks again.