Chromecast question

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

Chromecast question

Does anyone know if Chromecast could override the Gen5 video saving mode?  I definitely don't want it to, but I don't know if it does or not without permission. @Liz; @Amanda; @C0RR0SIVE; @GabeU; @Gwalk900; @BirdDog

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Got a quick turnaround from the engineers! Video optimization on Chromecast should work; they've tested YouTube and Netflix. If you see any different, please let us know so the engineers can re-test!

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Not sure... Chromecast is one of those things that uses another device to get streaming content, so it should be limited depending on the content being streamed.

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

I know for something like Netflix where you can set the definition in your account settings, mine set to lowest, it will stream at that definition. Not sure about sites that set definition automatically. Only way to be sure is test it.

Plus, I'm still Gen 4 so...........

Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

@maratsade wrote:

Does anyone know if Chromecast could override the Gen5 video saving mode? 

I can't see how.

Regardless of of the type of device requesting the data, the "data" , assuming it is ID'd as "video" is tinkered with on the return portion of the data's journey.

Request for data: Device>modem>satellite>Gateway then on to the terrestrial internet>server

Return path: Server containing the data>terrestial internet>Gateway>is data "video" Y/N> if video, then altered> altered data sent to Satellite>modem> device.

The device can not display data that it hadn't received.

I may be all wet.

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Yea, don't see how it could stream at a higher speed than Data Saver allows. Worst case if a site requires a high speed connection then the video maybe won't stream at all or be unwatchable.

maratsade

Cheers, everyone. I thought it made no sense that it could magically override settings, but it's a new device, and even though I thought it was a stupid question, I thought it merited asking the Brain Trust.  I will keep an eye on it when streaming to see how much data it eats. 

Good morning maratsade,

Thanks for posting, good question! I would also think that Chromecast wouldn't override Video Data Saver, but this is only personal speculation. I've sent up your question to our testers for input.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Got a quick turnaround from the engineers! Video optimization on Chromecast should work; they've tested YouTube and Netflix. If you see any different, please let us know so the engineers can re-test!

maratsade

Thanks, @Liz!  I'm glad it works! The Chromecast is awesome, but just in case I have it set so it turns off (as opposed to being on standby) if the TV set is off.