Dish DVR Hopper and HN

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Capt-Sue
Freshman

Dish DVR Hopper and HN

I want to understand how the DVR uses my data or when not use it. If I record a live show and go to another channel is it using my internet? How about recording a program at a later time? Using on demand... Any help on saving internet would be great!
3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
MarkJFine
Professor

The DVR itself will only use bandwidth when recording an on-demand program from the internet. Can assume the rate is about 5GB per hour for HD.

But there are other function the entire box uses data for:
1. software/app updates.

2. on-screen java apps (if they use them, I know DirecTV does).

3. on-screen guide updates/searches.

4. specific configuration settings particular to your location

Just about anything you think might be coming from the satellite's control data channel will almost always have a duplicate date path via the internet and will gleefully use lots of it. Best to just disconnect from the internet entirely, since they give no warning nor an option of where it comes from.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

View solution in original post

maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

PlayOn Cloud is an app for iPhone and Android that works as a "cloud DVR" and allows the recording of programmes from different providers, such as Hulu, Netflix, Amazon Prime, and others. Recording takes place in the cloud, so there is no data usage. Downloading the recordings does use data. 

They also offer an older application, PlayOn TV, which is a software client that can be downloaded to a computer. Note that this software uses data both to record and to download. 

GabeU

@Capt-Sue 

To add to maratsade's information about PlayOn Cloud, the service and the app for it give a few options concerning downloading the chosen item (movie, show, documentary, etc.).  They are as follows...

1.  Automatically downloading the item after it's finished recording, and to the device that has the PlayOn Cloud app installed.   

2.  Scheduling the download to occur at a specific time, though it must be scheduled to occur after the item has finished recording in the cloud, as it records in real time.  i.e. a two hour movie takes two hours to record in the cloud.  Again, this would be to the device with the PlayOn Cloud app installed.  

3.  Downloading the recorded item manually, either to the PlayOn Cloud app device or a computer, the latter of which you can do  from an email link that is sent.  

After the chosen item is recorded in the cloud it is converted to an .mp4 file, which is what is downloaded.  That .mp4 file can play on anything with the ability to do so, and most devices these days can, such as a Smart TV, computers, tablets, smart phones, etc.  Many Blu Ray and DVD players can also, whether from a USB port or from a disk when the .mp4 has been copied to a disk.  I watch the items on my Smart TV from a USB flash drive or a USB external HDD.  My TV has a built in app to play .mp4s.  If you have a Smart TV that has a USB port and it was made within the last five years or so, you can probably do the same.  

With PlayOn Cloud you can choose either a monthly plan, which includes a set number of recording credits per month and a little online storage, Anytime recording credits, which never expire, but for which you have to download the cloud recorded item within seven days, as they're deleted after seven days, or both.  I use Anytime Credits instead of a monthly plan.  They cost anywhere from about 32 cents per recording to 12 cents per recording, depending on how many you buy and what kind of sale they have going on.  And, of course, you have to have an account at the particular streaming service (Netflix, Amazon, etc.) in order to record from there.

Lastly, the .mp4s never expire.  You can watch them over and over again.  

If you have any questions about it, or about anything I've described, feel free to ask.

7 REPLIES 7
MarkJFine
Professor

The DVR itself will only use bandwidth when recording an on-demand program from the internet. Can assume the rate is about 5GB per hour for HD.

But there are other function the entire box uses data for:
1. software/app updates.

2. on-screen java apps (if they use them, I know DirecTV does).

3. on-screen guide updates/searches.

4. specific configuration settings particular to your location

Just about anything you think might be coming from the satellite's control data channel will almost always have a duplicate date path via the internet and will gleefully use lots of it. Best to just disconnect from the internet entirely, since they give no warning nor an option of where it comes from.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

Thanks for the reply! I understand on demand will eat up my internet, what about the other questions I had, live recording? If it's live it's not downloading it (?) even if I'm watching another live program? I like to skip commercials, so when I go back to watch it I would think it would be like watching a DVD (no internet used)??? Anyone have Dish that can help me understand

If you're recording live and 'rewind' (as it were) you shouldn't use any bandwidth because the DVR actively records what you're watching from the satellite TV feed.

However, if Dish has a thing where you can restart the program from the beginning if you've only started watching from the middle, that's using on-demand (and your internet).

Thanks again, if I record something that say 3am (bonus hours) and record it at 9pm, will it start recording at 3am or would it be considered an "on demand"and use internet to download immediately?

I'm having a problem understanding your question, so excuse me if this doesn't answer it...

If the program is scheduled to air live at 3am (in the future) and you tell the DVR to record it at 9pm (the previous evening), it will start recording the live program at 3am (in the future). Either way, it's recording a live program airing at 3am, not on-demand, so there's no internet involved.

If you're looking to record an on-demand program at 3am to take advantage of the Bonus Time, I think you need to be up at 3am to manually record it. I'm not aware of any DVR that allows you to schedule an on-demand recording at a different time. Usually, all on-demand recording is initiated immediately.

As an alternative: @maratsade and @GabeU know of the details regarding a mostly free service that allows you to schedule on-demand recordings for Bonus Time. The difference is that I think it would download to your computer, not your DVR.

maratsade

PlayOn Cloud is an app for iPhone and Android that works as a "cloud DVR" and allows the recording of programmes from different providers, such as Hulu, Netflix, Amazon Prime, and others. Recording takes place in the cloud, so there is no data usage. Downloading the recordings does use data. 

They also offer an older application, PlayOn TV, which is a software client that can be downloaded to a computer. Note that this software uses data both to record and to download. 

GabeU

@Capt-Sue 

To add to maratsade's information about PlayOn Cloud, the service and the app for it give a few options concerning downloading the chosen item (movie, show, documentary, etc.).  They are as follows...

1.  Automatically downloading the item after it's finished recording, and to the device that has the PlayOn Cloud app installed.   

2.  Scheduling the download to occur at a specific time, though it must be scheduled to occur after the item has finished recording in the cloud, as it records in real time.  i.e. a two hour movie takes two hours to record in the cloud.  Again, this would be to the device with the PlayOn Cloud app installed.  

3.  Downloading the recorded item manually, either to the PlayOn Cloud app device or a computer, the latter of which you can do  from an email link that is sent.  

After the chosen item is recorded in the cloud it is converted to an .mp4 file, which is what is downloaded.  That .mp4 file can play on anything with the ability to do so, and most devices these days can, such as a Smart TV, computers, tablets, smart phones, etc.  Many Blu Ray and DVD players can also, whether from a USB port or from a disk when the .mp4 has been copied to a disk.  I watch the items on my Smart TV from a USB flash drive or a USB external HDD.  My TV has a built in app to play .mp4s.  If you have a Smart TV that has a USB port and it was made within the last five years or so, you can probably do the same.  

With PlayOn Cloud you can choose either a monthly plan, which includes a set number of recording credits per month and a little online storage, Anytime recording credits, which never expire, but for which you have to download the cloud recorded item within seven days, as they're deleted after seven days, or both.  I use Anytime Credits instead of a monthly plan.  They cost anywhere from about 32 cents per recording to 12 cents per recording, depending on how many you buy and what kind of sale they have going on.  And, of course, you have to have an account at the particular streaming service (Netflix, Amazon, etc.) in order to record from there.

Lastly, the .mp4s never expire.  You can watch them over and over again.  

If you have any questions about it, or about anything I've described, feel free to ask.