Hughesnet Community

How do I set my connection to metered? Windows 10.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
OleSmokey
New Poster

How do I set my connection to metered? Windows 10.

I have windows 10 and understand a large upgrade is coming. How do I set my computer to use metered service. I want to upgrade between 2:00 am and 8:00 am.

OleSmokey
18 REPLIES 18
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

You may want to check this discussion.
HughesNetCorpor

If your using a desktop computer and it is connected directly to your HughesNet modem via an Ethernet cable, you will not be able to change your settings to 'metered'.

If your computer (desktop or laptop, or any other device using Windows 10) is connecting to the internet via Wifi, through a router connection, you can follow these steps to set up a 'metered' connection.

Open your Start menu and select Settings to launch it.
Click or tap the “Network & Internet” icon
Select “Wi-Fi,” and then select “Advanced options” at the bottom of the list of nearby Wi-Fi networks. You can then activate the “Set as metered connection” option here.
Chris11
Alum

Hi Olesmokey,

We appreciate the post and would like to welcome you to the community!. Head over the the link posted by maratsade, it has all the info you need. If there is any confusion, let us know so we can assist further. 

Thanks,
Chris
HughesNetCorpor

By switching over to a 'metered' connection, you are simply 'delaying' any available Window Updates from automatically downloading.

Once you have changed your connection to 'metered', you can, at any time, follow these steps below to see if any Window Updates are available and from there, you can choose whether or not you want to download them at that time.

Open your Start menu and select Settings to launch it.
Click or tap the “Update & Security” icon
Under the Update Status it will let you know what, if any, Window Updates are available for download and will give you the option to download them at that time.

If, at any time, you connect your desktop computer directly back up to your HughesNet modem via Ethernet cable, your computer will recognize this connection as no longer metered and all available Window Updates will begin to download automatically.
OleSmokey
New Poster

Chris, Maratsade, thanks for the assist. I just spent 2 hours finding the solution. Windows 10 has a long way to for help. I made some screen shots and info if anyone else needs help. You were both right on. I need you in my help drawer.

OleSmokey
maratsade

Glad it worked! It's a shame WinX doesn't let people choose when to update.
lowkeyidaho

Unfortunately, they think they are so far above the rest of us, we don't count. 
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

M$ seems to think everyone in the world has unlimited broadband internet. Not true even in the US. I'm personally totally done with them. Unless they change their current update model my 8.1 Pro will be the last Windows system I use.

If I'm still alive in 2023 I will probably completely switch to Linux. Already have Mint on dual boot and really like it. Of course who knows if that will still be user oriented by then. Things change so quickly.

Heck, I may even go with Android if they come out with a good PC OS:  http://www.theverge.com/2016/2/22/11092128/remix-os-android-desktop-mwc-2016
GabeU

Yep.  Unlike in the past, Microsoft now uses it's customers as guinea pigs for new updates. 
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Downloading Remix Android for PC right now, going to give it a look see.

GabeU

Please let us know how that goes.  Any decent alternative to Windows might be worth a try.  As far as you know, can it be installed on a blank drive? 
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Install notes. Not going to put it on my primary hard drive. Will use a flash drive or see if can use external usb hdd. Not going to mess with it anymore tonight but something new and interesting to play with. : )

Table of Content:

A. MD5 Verification

B. How to launch Remix OS for PC

C. Feedback

D. Data collection 

===========================================

A. MD5 Verification

To ensure you are using the official version, please visit the Download section of http://www.jide.com/en/remixos-for-pc

B. How to launch Remix OS for PC

-For Hard Disk Installation:

NOTE: Currently, installation tool only supports Windows 7, Windows 8 or Windows 10, with a minimum capacity of 8GB. Other system users, please install on USB flash drive.

1. Download the Remix OS for PC package, which contains the Remix OS for PC ROM & Installation Tool. 

2. Open the Remix OS Installation Tool and follow the instructions to install Remix OS for PC on your hard disk. 

3. Reboot your PC. 
For UEFI, press special key (F12 for Dell, F9 for HP, F12 for Lenovo, Option Key for MAC) while booting to enter boot menu and ensure that Secure Boot is disabled.

4. Select Remix OS in Windows Boot Menu.

-For USB Flash Drive Installation:

NOTE: A USB 3.0 flash drive that supports FAT32 format, with a minimum capacity of 8GB and a recommended writing speed of 20MB/s.

1. All data on your USB flash drive will be erased. Please backup the data in your USB flash drive before you start the installation.  

2. Download the Remix OS for PC package, which contains the Remix OS for PC ROM & Installation Tool

3. Insert USB flash drive into your PC

4. Open the Remix OS Installation Tool and follow the instructions to install Remix OS for PC on your USB flash drive. 

5. Reboot your PC.

6. Press special key(F12 for Dell, F9 for HP, F12 for Lenovo, Option Key for MAC) while booting and enter Boot Menu. 
For UEFI, ensure that Secure Boot is disabled.

7. Select "USB Storage Device" under boot option.

8. Select either "Guest Mode" or "Resident Mode" to start Remix OS.

Notes for USB Flash Drive Installation: 
If the above booting instructions do not work for your PC, please refer to these links:
http://www.boot-disk.com/boot_priority.htm
https://craftedflash.com/info/how-boot-computer-from-usb-flash-drive

For Mac users, please see this link:
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201663

C. Feedback:

Share your feedback with the link below
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/16QlPRKeEih18YJj8I_duZKO54vZkUWa-vIds5TanIm8/viewform

Join our Google group for further discussion with the link below
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/remix-os-for-pc

D. Data collection:

To help us improve the user experience of the installation tool, we may collect date regarding your device type, ISO file version, tool performance, and button clicks. 
This data is strictly confidential and will only be used for product design. 
No personal data will be collected.

GabeU

Nice.  Thanks for the info.  It will be the USB flash drive for me, at least for trying it out for a while.  It can't hurt.  Thanks again. 

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

You're welcome. Where's Jezra been? Think he'd be all over this. Still loving the meter he made for Android smart phones.

Going to bed myself. Tomorrow is another day.
GabeU

It doesn't seem like he's been on as much lately. 

Enjoy the sleep.  🙂

deepdiver1
Sophomore

Yes you can set an ethernet to metered using a registry change.  See "Interesting Discussion: How to set a Windows 10 Ethernet Connection as Metered to control Updates, Drivers, Store, etc." post. Just search in above Search Box for "metered ethernet". Read the whole thing to see several methods.
GabeU
motobojo
Junior

I am a user of the metered connection hack to control the timing of my update downloads.  Please be aware that Microsoft Office updates won't happen when you have metered connection set.  Office detects that updates are available and reminds you of that fact.  However, when you go through the series of prompts to actually get the update to download the download will silently fail.  This is despite the fact that it detects you have 'metered connection' set and verifies that you would like to override it for the purpose of the download.  I found that in order to get the update I needed to temporarily disable the metered connection setting.  I spent quite a number of cycles trying to figure out why the Office update would not complete.