Hughesnet Community

I use netgear N60034 wireless routers I have four

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dougmckinney

I use netgear N60034 wireless routers I have four

I use netgear N60034 wireless routers I have four on site at 250 feet apart but I believe there is a way to link them increase the coverage is this possible and would it help cell ph reception?

7 REPLIES 7
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

You can connect their WAN ports all to a single switch, and put them into AP mode, then hook that switch to the LAN of a 5th router, set them all to the same SSID.

But wireless routers don't help cell phone reception...  Just helps with wireless internet coverage...
Amanda

Hello Doug,

I believe a wireless router would only support your cellphone reception if you have a special internet calling plan with a company like TMobile, however satellite internet service is still not recommended to utilize this feature. In addition to that, repeating your signal over such a large area would cause your speeds to drop drastically and possibly not even broadcast at all. I hope we were able to provide some insight to your question.

Thank you
Amanda
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Amanda, my Wifi network covers about the same area as OP's using multiple access points, no speed issues at all.  Kinda like being in the garden with a good strong wifi signal.
CharlesMcCool
New Poster

With Asus routers this can be done wireless but not sure about Netgear. with Asus you set one as the router and the other 3 as wirless AP
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Can be done with Netgear as well, just put them all into AP, and assign them all with the same SSID, some of them have better options where you can tell each one if there is a master unit, then additional units and so on.
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Yes, sadly Netgear is getting rid of the "Repeater" like function in the routers they sell, since it's hurting sells of actual network repeaters.  So it's just one way to make sure you buy what they want you to buy.  Used to be on older Netgear routers, you could go into them, tell them to work as an AP, then set them up just like a Repeater and have only power going to them.  Now you have to have a physical cable going to their newest routers in AP mode, no repeat functions at all, even on NightHawks.
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor