Netgear Genie question

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bon
Freshman

Netgear Genie question

My computer recently installed a Windows 10 update.  I noticed afterward it runs constantly.  In trying to find what is actually running, it looks like the Netgear Genie is scanning.  My Hughes net modem was replaced awhile ago, and I am sure the connection to the Netgear Genie was never updated to connect with the new password, etc.  (was it ever?) I am unsure whether it is actually being used by anything, or if I can disconnect and remove it.  I think it is just a dongle insert anyway.  Any advice would be appreciated; mainly I don't want to do anything to totally screw up current settings.  If Hughes net and all connections are working, is this wireless adapter even working with anything? 

My workaround for the computer at this time is to turn it off at night.  (insert eye-roll I know but I am a bit tech ignorant!)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@Bon 

If your computer has built in WiFi, the Netgear dongle isn't needed.  These dongles are used to add WiFi capability to a computer that doesn't already have it built in.

If you're connecting directly to the HughesNet HT2000W modem and are not using a Netgear router, I would completely uninstall the Netgear Genie app, as it's a program used to access the setup and features of a Netgear router.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
maratsade

I'd turn it off too. 🙂  Low tech but effective. Have you contacted Netgear about this?

I just tried to:  it looks like the 'Genie' is no longer made.  I did learn that Netgear is associated with Windows, and I also searched my computer and found a small dongle that is labeled Netgear.  I have pulled it.  I will now see if the scanning stops.  

I might also check with Hughes net itself.  Or just wait to see what doesn't work anymore (just kidding.)

Thanks for answering!  I appreciate it.

maratsade

You're welcome! I hope that works and you didn't break anything. 😉  

HughesNet reps monitor this site, so one of them may reply to your question, but if you're in a hurry, try the phone or the chat reps. 

GabeU

@Bon 

If your computer has built in WiFi, the Netgear dongle isn't needed.  These dongles are used to add WiFi capability to a computer that doesn't already have it built in.

If you're connecting directly to the HughesNet HT2000W modem and are not using a Netgear router, I would completely uninstall the Netgear Genie app, as it's a program used to access the setup and features of a Netgear router.

Thank you!  I removed the dongle and I will now do as you suggest!