Personal Information Security Guide for Family and Friends

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Personal Information Security Guide for Family and Friends

Here is a link I ran across on dlsr that I thought was worth sharing:.

This is a useful reminder to both novice as well as experienced users alike so please take a moment to read it in its entirety:

The digital age is upon us. As much as it has blessed us and made collaboration and work easier, faster and more efficient, it also has its downsides. A lot of damage can be done by someone in a remote village over the internet. Cybercriminals carefully exploit loopholes to steal information and perform unauthorized transactions across devices and applications that are not secured enough.

This article aims to serve as a personal information security identity guide for you, family and friends. Follow this guide and keep your family and friends safe from cybercriminals this season!

https://auth0.com/blog/personal-information-security-identity-guide/

5 REPLIES 5
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

I ought to show this article to my stepfather so he doesn't think I'm making things up and blowing things out of proportion when it comes to being safe on the net.  No matter how many times I tell him to be careful and let him know what he should never do, he still uses the same password, or nearly the same password, and it's a ridiculously simple one, for just about every site he goes to, and still wants to post pictures of all of his baseball memorabilia, and he's got a lot of it, on Facebook.  
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

The truth is its a jungle out there.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

The internet is pretty much like a toilet. We all need it, but once you flush on your side it is out there for everyone to pick through it that is connected to the sewage pipes.

Older folks should understand it is like writing a letter that the whole world can see. It is not private.
Amanda

Thanks  Gwalk! Sadly, some folks don't even need an internet connection to get scammed or have their identities stolen. There are many mail scams like psychics, religious "prosperity" amulets, lotteries, fake "foreign child adoption" and phone scams where the caller pretends to be the IRS, Microsoft (we know that one too well, right?), credit card company or even their doctor. People have been getting scammed since the dawn of time and it probably will never stop, but self-education and awareness is important!

Here is a helpful site too: https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/scam-alerts
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Should.  But unfortunately, as we all know, that often doesn't happen, and they don't learn the lesson until it's too late.  And, also unfortunately, they're sometimes too set in their ways to listen to reason and reality when it comes to the net.