Printer problem...Brother MFC-240C

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ricky
Tutor

Printer problem...Brother MFC-240C

I have aquired a Brother MFC-240C printer. I can not get it to print. I did not get a install disk with it. I can see the printer. The printer will make a copy of something so it will work. I just don't have the driver, I guess, to make it print. A chat with Brother says there are no drivers for Windows 8.1 with this printer. They mentioned something about a generic driver.

Can anyone help me make this printer work with my OS?

24 REPLIES 24
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Ricky, have you tried to use Windows Update to see if the computer could find a generic driver online to use?

It's a long shot, but sometimes Win7 and Win10 drivers will work on Win 8.1.

Hopefully this article from Brother will help: http://support.brother.com/g/b/faqend.aspx?c=us&lang=en&prod=mfc240c_all&faqid=faq00002994_002

I have but the updates failed. Trying them 1 by 1 now to see which one fails. I know the Brother one failed. Sounds like a project tomorrow.

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

No not yet Corrosive. Thanks for the tips. I will be signing off for tonight soon. So I will check back in tomorrow around 11 EST to see any ideas and get to work on trying to get this thing working.

Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

What version of Windows was listed for the last driver?

Did you try installing the driver as an Admin?

Did you try installing under compatibility mode?

I do not know what version was listed for the last driver. I did not investigate to much yesterday. I am trying to install as a Admin. though. I have not tried to install in compatibility mode. All things I will have to try later today.

Thanks!

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

According to the Brother site the built-in Windows 8.1 drivers are supposed to work: http://support.brother.com/g/b/downloadlist.aspx?c=us&lang=en&prod=mfc240c_all&os=135

Not sure why you can't get it to work. I have a Brother MFC-430JW and the built-in drivers are working. What shows up in Control Panel/Decices and Printers, anything? Is Windows up to date?

Maybe this will also help: 

http://support.brother.com/g/b/faqend.aspx?c=us&lang=en&prod=mfc240c_all&faqid=faq00002994_002

Printer drivers.JPG 

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Might there be an issue with the USB cable?  Have you tried it in a different USB port?  

I just tried a different USB port and still no go.

Windows does have some updates that are needed but they keep failing. Trying to figure that out 1st since maybe that is the problem right there. Attachment is what shows for printers.

Problem solved...... I was not choosing the right printer to print to. Hahahaha. I must have taken a stupid pill this morning. Thanks for the help guys.

GabeU

@Ricky wrote:

Problem solved...... I was not choosing the right printer to print to. Hahahaha. I must have taken a stupid pill this morning. Thanks for the help guys. 

I look at everything as a learning experience and something that will help you next time.  🙂

Now if I can just get the updates issue resolved.

I learned that because I had a problem logging into my computer a few months ago my windows was not activated. I could not log into my computer at all and to reset it. I guess that caused my windows to not be activated. So off to find the key. Not on the paperwork. But thanks to Belarc I believe I have it. Lets see how the updates go this time.

Wish me luck. hahahahahaha. It is always fun around here with me and this computer.

GabeU

Unfortunately, Belarc sometimes gives false keys.  If it was a name brand, pre built computer, like a Dell, HP, etc, and it came with Windows 8 or later, it may have come with an embedded product key.  If this is the case, it should automatically activate when you go online.  

It is a Acer. Belarc was spot on this time. A check shows Windows to be activated now. Still waiting on updates results.

GabeU

Good to hear.  Hopefully everything will work with the updates.  There are probably a lot of them, and if they fail, I can point you to a post that might help, as I had a problem updating a clean install of Windows 8.1 and got help from a Microsoft tech.  There were some prerequisites that I needed, but this was with an install from W8.1 install media downloaded from Microsoft.   

Actually GabeU there are only 3 critical and 3 optional. Will post back when I know something. They seem to be taking there sweet time downloading. Speeds are good though.

Problem solved. I had a couple services that got turned off somehow or not started somehow. A chat with Microsoft fixed that issue. Updates downloaded and installed fine.

Nightmare.

I thought all this was solved. Not only are my updates failing but I have no programs starting up. What a mess. Attempting a re-install from my external harddrive.

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Ricky, before doing that I would run a chkdsk /r on the drive first. It can take quite awhile though. I've had success with it fixing screwy problems in the past. How old is your drive?

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

The "/f" is inherent when doing the "/r" command.