Recording show that is on my Genie to a disk using my computer

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ricky
Tutor

Recording show that is on my Genie to a disk using my computer

I want to record a show with my Directv Genie. Then I want to put that show on a DVD. I will have to use my laptop to burn it to the cd. Is there a way to do this? If not ideas on how to get a show that was recorded on my Genie to a disk.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Yeup, you are stuck re-recording the video footage using a capture device...  One of the most popular devices to record HDMI is from Elgato, mostly meant for those that live-stream, but you are able to record the video using such devices and software in most cases.  

https://www.amazon.com/Elgato-superior-technology-hardware-encoding/dp/B014MQIVPS/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8...

Another one, with DVR/TV recording more in mind than what Elgato offers is from Hauppauge
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00WMJMDG6/ref=psdc_6795230011_t4_B014MQIVPS

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
MarkJFine
Professor

There's no way to really just copy a file from one place to another because of copyright restrictions and the DRM protections that DirecTV employs.

That said, there are DVD recorders that record realtime digitized video from line-level inputs similar to a VCR - most were actually used to dub VCR tapes to DVDs.

Alternatively, there are outboard USB-based video digitzing devices you can buy that will allow you to use your computer to perform realtime recording on your laptop as well.

It's not very efficient because of the realtime nature of the process (i.e., 2 hour movies will take 2 hours to record), but it works.

Just be careful because some earlier DVD recorders were very sensitive to the kind (sometimes even brand) of DVDs you can use.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

Your reply does not appear to be very encouraging. Oh well. Take the good with the bad.

Why? You can probably get a video capture device fairly cheap.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

The video is most likely encrypted. Only way is like Mike said to re-record it with a screen capture app but a huge PITA in my opinion.

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Yeup, you are stuck re-recording the video footage using a capture device...  One of the most popular devices to record HDMI is from Elgato, mostly meant for those that live-stream, but you are able to record the video using such devices and software in most cases.  

https://www.amazon.com/Elgato-superior-technology-hardware-encoding/dp/B014MQIVPS/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8...

Another one, with DVR/TV recording more in mind than what Elgato offers is from Hauppauge
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00WMJMDG6/ref=psdc_6795230011_t4_B014MQIVPS

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@Ricky

Being around these boards as long as you have and you're thinking about connecting your DirecTV Genie to your Hughesnet service?  AHHHHHH!!!!!!  J/K.  😛

Thanks for the tips and suggestions folks. I will look into them.

No Gabe I am not considering hooking up my Directv to the Internet. I wanted to record the show on my Genie and then somehow use my laptop to burn that show to a DVD. I know hooking it up to the Internet is data sucide. Smiley LOL

If I had a way to record directly to my hard disk I wouldn't even bother putting it on a DVD, since most TVs can read video files off a USB thumb drive. Putting it on a DVD just creates a second conversion step which may corrupt the video quality in the process - unless you're able to burn to 8GB dual layered DVDs, of course.

I mainly record to DVD first just because that's what I have. I end up ripping the DVD to disk (also not a desirable method for various reasons) using Handbrake (a Mac app) so it can be played on the computer or iPad later.