Win10 Updates on Metered Connection

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MarkJFine
Professor

Win10 Updates on Metered Connection

It's well-known that you need to keep the metered connection (eithernet or wifi) set to On in order to keep your Win10 updates, and your usage under control.

There's a downside to this: There is absolutely nothing in Updates that tells you if there are any application updates waiting for you. So after an app went a little haywire, I checked MS Store... and huzzah: there were no less than 36 things waiting to be updated... since March. One of these was, in fact, the application that was having connection problems.

So, just a sanity check that Settings/Updates is fine under Metered, but you still need to check the Store app (which also needed updating, BTW).

And while I'm at it... know that doing this and getting all 36 during repeated waves of monsoon rains this morning... that's something special. Was sitting here with an ipad monitoring the System Status page, and clicking pause/resume on the MS Store app every time the SQF went into the low 30s and then back up.

Honestly, I don't have any update OCDs... right.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
1 REPLY 1
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

I sometimes forget to check the Store as I have it set to NOT automatically download any app/program update.  Presently, there are 17 updates waiting for me, which I'll do sometime soon.  

I have Windows 10 Pro so I have my Windows 10 updates set to "Notify to download updates" through the Group Policy Editor instead of having my desktop set as a metered connection.