HughesNet Community

Windows 10 Creators Update - Remember to backup your computer

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Windows 10 Creators Update - Remember to backup your computer

As with any major update, including the Creators Update, always remember to backup your computer before installing that update.  

 

For those of you that don't know, Windows 10 has a built in utility that allows you to create a system image, which can be saved on an external drive, a sizeable flash drive, or even DVDs (it will take many).  

 

There are many articles on the net on how to create a system image, and how to use it to restore your computer in the event of a problem.  

 

 


Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
20 REPLIES 20
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

I'm totally reckless. I didn't back up anything....

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

You're lucky it worked.  🙂  

 

 


Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV


@GabeU wrote:

You're lucky it worked.  🙂  

 

 


Oh yeah! So far the stars/gods/sundry magical beings have been on my side. 🙂

@maratsade

 

Back when I worked in IT the saying was "If the data doesn't exist in three places, the data doesn't exist."

 

Granted our three places included two cassette tapes which failed all the time.

maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV


@Matt_Is_My_Name wrote:

@maratsade

 

Back when I worked in IT the saying was "If the data doesn't exist in three places, the data doesn't exist."

 

Granted our three places included two cassette tapes which failed all the time.


LOL.  That would likely be my experience too.  I'd start a backup and that would fail, and then I would need to smash the laptop against a wall and then would need to buy another one, etc.  It's not worth it to begin this process of inevitable doom.  🙂

Biting my tongue long enough. Is it really worth it? Seems 10 is about as bad as Vista or even ME from what I read on the internet. Happily on 8.1 until 2023. What is this "Creators" thing you speak of?

 

Joking a bit but no way I plan on havining 10 on anything. Linux before 10 in my book. Shoot, I'll be 70 by the time 8.1 support expires, if I'm still around I'm betting Windows might be a third tier OS the way they're going. I actually like Android on my phones and tablets better than Windows these days.

maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

"What is this "Creators" thing you speak of?"

 

It is a "divine" OS.

maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

What Linux distro, BirdDog? I have Mint and I love it (is it lame to like Mint? I wonder if the cool Linux people like more sophisticated distros).

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@maratsade

 

Mint is my preferred Linux distro, as well.  I used to use Ubuntu, but a few years back it just got too "boring."  I have Mint on a separate HDD in this desktop and have it as my OS in my old Athlon 64 desktop that I built years ago.  I like Mint.   


Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

The first distro I ever installed was Ubuntu and I thought that was very nice, until I installed Mint. Mint is very very nice and very user friendly.  I have never tried Fedora or any of the others.  I hear they're for more advanced users.  I had an old Windows XP laptop with a tendency to go into BSOD every few seconds, I removed Windows and installed Mint on it -- works great and no more BSODs.

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV


@maratsade wrote:

The first distro I ever installed was Ubuntu and I thought that was very nice, until I installed Mint. Mint is very very nice and very user friendly.  I have never tried Fedora or any of the others.  I hear they're for more advanced users.  I had an old Windows XP laptop with a tendency to go into BSOD every few seconds, I removed Windows and installed Mint on it -- works great and no more BSODs.


I do have Ubuntu installed on a bootable flash drive, though I don't really use it for anything other than trying it out on different systems (if I can get that computer to boot to a flash drive).  

 

XP was actually the first OS where I didn't get the BSOD.  I don't think I've had one since Me, knock on wood.  I suspect it had a lot to do with it being based on NT and using NFTS instead of FAT32.  I loved XP.   It's a tossup between Windows XP and Windows 7 being my favorite Microsoft OS, overall. 

    


Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

I admit I'm out of the loop on this "Creators" thing. What is it and do I need it? Or is it a marketing thing like the Samsung Galaxy 8 and newest IPhone?

 

Thinking I don't need it.

@BirdDog

It is a pretty significant update. It adds a whole range of features to Windows 10, but each user will only care about a couple of them depending on their circumstances. It does have a handful of security patches which are necessary.

 

In all honesty I wouldn't call it a marketing thing. It really does offer a lot.

 

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/features


@Matt_Is_My_Name wrote:

@BirdDog

It is a pretty significant update. It adds a whole range of features to Windows 10, but each user will only care about a couple of them depending on their circumstances. It does have a handful of security patches which are necessary.

 

In all honesty I wouldn't call it a marketing thing. It really does offer a lot.

 

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/features


I'm old, that stuff doesn't impress me. I have Classic Shell installed on my computers. I have old desktop style on all computers, no tiles, just icons. I'm a dying breed, it is OK, time marches on but going to stick with what I like and know. Android touch and swipe is fine on my phone and tablets but I like icons, mouse and old desktop style on PC. Hate tiles and touch on PC. I'm old.

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV


@BirdDog wrote:

I admit I'm out of the loop on this "Creators" thing. What is it and do I need it? Or is it a marketing thing like the Samsung Galaxy 8 and newest IPhone?

 

Thinking I don't need it.


No, you don't need it, unless you are one who does a lot of gaming and such.  It's got a few decent updates compared to the previous version of Windows 10, but a lot of game based updates, too.  Not needing it is just my opinion, of course.   

 

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/features

 


Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
BirdDog
Assistant Professor


@maratsade wrote:

What Linux distro, BirdDog? I have Mint and I love it (is it lame to like Mint? I wonder if the cool Linux people like more sophisticated distros).


Mint is great, I have it on dual boot. The more one learns about Linux they can move past the mass distributions like Mint, or not. Thing is it is a choice how a person advances, nothing forced. And free and user supported.

 

Will admit I like the old DOS days and lower level system control which Linux offers if a person wants to go there. Don't have to go that deep into the system though with the mass distro's.

maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

Linux in some ways reminds me of the old Windows systems. 🙂  I also remember the days of DOS and command lines. 

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV


@maratsade wrote:

Linux in some ways reminds me of the old Windows systems. 🙂  I also remember the days of DOS and command lines. 


You and BirdDog have been using computers for considerably longer than me.  The first computer I used on a regular basis had Windows 95.  I had a Commodore VIC20 and 64 when I was a kid, but I never really did much with them.  A kid came up one day and connected a tape drive to the 64 and did some things and I thought it were fascinating, and I was amazed that you could do that, though it didn't stick enough to make me want to learn computers, at that point.

 

Had I known where we'd be today and I might have done things a little diffferently.  Heck, had I known where we'd be today I would have invested in AOL at their first offering and gotten out in the early 2000s.  LOL.  


Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV


@BirdDog wrote:

Biting my tongue long enough. Is it really worth it? Seems 10 is about as bad as Vista or even ME from what I read on the internet. Happily on 8.1 until 2023. What is this "Creators" thing you speak of?


Windows 10 has been good for me.  I didn't care for Vista, either, and as for the Mistake Edition, I would rather use an abacus and snail mail.  It was AWFUL!  It was with ME that I got very familiar with the dreaded BSOD.  We were on a first name basis.  LOL.  

 

I don't know that there is really any advantage for me in having Windows 10 over Windows 8.1.  I think it's more a thing of being up to date, and I suspect it's pretty much the same with most consumers, though I'm sure some are ignorant enough about computers and the internet that they think upgrading to Windows 10 is almost a necessity.  

 

My notebook has W8.1 and my folks' laptop does, as well.  It works fine for both.  

   


Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV


@GabeU wrote:

@BirdDog wrote:

Biting my tongue long enough. Is it really worth it? Seems 10 is about as bad as Vista or even ME from what I read on the internet. Happily on 8.1 until 2023. What is this "Creators" thing you speak of?


Windows 10 has been good for me.  I didn't care for Vista, either, and as for the Mistake Edition, I would rather use an abacus and snail mail.  It was AWFUL!  It was with ME that I got very familiar with the dreaded BSOD.  We were on a first name basis.  LOL.  

 

I don't know that there is really any advantage for me in having Windows 10 over Windows 8.1.  I think it's more a thing of being up to date, and I suspect it's pretty much the same with most consumers, though I'm sure some are ignorant enough about computers and the internet that they think upgrading to Windows 10 is almost a necessity.  

 

My notebook has W8.1 and my folks' laptop does, as well.  It works fine for both.  

   


 

I've only used Windows 1, Windows 2, 3.1, Vista, XP, and now Windows 10.  I skipped ME and Windows 8. 

I haven't had much trouble with Windows, really, though sometimes it can be very annoying, especially the cryptic error messages (like the errors at particular memory addresses.....) -- I prefer the Mac's error messages; I can actually understand them.