Does Hughes Sell Browsing Data ?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ecoalex2
Tutor

Does Hughes Sell Browsing Data ?

The Senate just passed a bill to allow sales of ISP data to others.

Does Hughes sell user data?

Cat On Toilet1.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Lori
Employee

Good Afternoon, 

Hughes does not rent, sell, or share your Personal Information, including your browsing history, with third parties. You can view our full privacy policy here (http://legal.hughesnet.com/SubscriberPolicies.cfm). 

Thank you, 

Lori 

View solution in original post

47 REPLIES 47
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

"Does Hughes sell user data?"

This is a great question deserving of a corporate level answer.

Just to expand on the question a little ......

"Does Hughes sell user data or intend to?

Think there is nothing to this? Consider at Google YOU ARE the product. The same appears to true also at Microsoft, Nvidia and AVG to name a few.

maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

Great cat pic.

I know Zukerberg made his $Billions by selling Farcebook users data, why I won't use it.

I know net neutrality also is going to be gutted, it's the oligarchs way, but that won't affect Hughes users, privacy however does..

I bought a head gasket on ebay. within an hour, it was appearing on side bar ads.

I'm not naive, I know clicks and purchases are mony makers.

I don't have to like it.

Stink Eye Kitten1.png

Hi ecoalex!

Thanks for posting, this is a very good and valid question. I definitely wondered the same thing when I heard the news. I'll send your question up to management.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

Thx Liz, thanks for your reply:)

We all could buy a VPN Virtual Private Network.. $5/mo for home, guarantted privacy then, but not having Hughes selling our browsing would be a plus, like Linux not using tracking of our every move as Microsoft or Apple does. They sell our data, like Facebook.

P.S. I just signed-up for Gen5 , Hope the transisition is smooth.. The Reps had some confusion, first I was told as a Gen 4 customer I couldn't upgrade, I called a different #, they said oh sure you can, so I did 😉

Thanx Liz, as always you are da best;)

Happykitten.png

GW
Advanced Tutor

I'm especially interested in the corporate response now that the jugheads in the house approved the new form of theivery today. Hopefully Hughes will continue to respect our privacy.

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

I don't see what it really matters... Amazon leaves super cookies on everyones machine, seeing what they visit and using that data to show you what you might be interested in, then they sell that data off...

Amazon, Newegg, Facebook, Google, Microsoft, Apple, they all do it, what's the difference between them and the ISP doing it?

GW
Advanced Tutor

It's a huge, monumental difference. Nobody leaves cookies on my machine and we have the option to not use any of the services you mention. We don't have that option with our ISP unless we don't want internet. I wouldn't touch facebook or google with a 10 foot pole but our ISP can track every step we take.

Katie's been sick lately so I've only been able to discuss this with her today. Fortunately she's meeting with marketing today. We'll see what happens...

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Thanks Liz::)

Here's the Comcast list of contributions to Republican Senators and Representatives that voted to allow selling of browsing data.

http://vote.us.org/memo/thread/5534/here-039-s-how-much-comcast-paid-members-of-congress-to-sell-you...

ScowlKitten.png

maratsade

@jezra wrote:
my cheapo Rep sold out for $5k

If you're going to sell out, at least ask for a quarter mil. 

So is HughesNet going to sell our data or not?

maratsade

@C0RR0SIVE wrote:

Mine did... Looks like he got the most at $251,000...  

Wow. I wonder what he had to do for that amount.

One example that comes to mind:

Today I am paying all my bills online.

Cookies, temp internet files and history can all be dumped but the idea that my ISP will track, share and sell the places I visit as I pay my creditors just does not sit well.

The businesses that I choose to do business with is not the concern of anyone other than my creditors and myself.

I feel like the mods need to be more involveled with this topic.Can we hear from you Liz or Amanda?

Just waiting on the 'OK' from marketing for the official response which should be coming from Lori at some point.

GW
Advanced Tutor

@ecoalex2 wrote:

We all could buy a VPN Virtual Private Network.. $5/mo for home, guarantted privacy then, but not having Hughes selling our browsing would be a plus, like Linux not using tracking of our every move as Microsoft or Apple does. They sell our data, like Facebook.

Is there any information or indication VPN would actually be reasonably functional on Gen5?

maratsade

@GW wrote:

@ecoalex2 wrote:

Is there any information or indication VPN would actually be reasonably functional on Gen5?

VPNs are in a position to do the very same tracking.  People wanting to use a VPN will have to closely read the company's TOS.

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Just throwing this out there guys... Even using a VPN, your ISP can see what websites you visit thanks to DPI and NGFW... While they can't see what you are doing exactly, they will still see the visit.  It's similar to visiting an HTTPS website, they can see it, but not what you do.  Only difference is HTTPS they can see with out DPI.