Quoting only part of a post...

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Quoting only part of a post...

Has anyone yet figured out a way to be able to quote only part of a post?  Sometimes a post is long and you want to address only a small part of it.  I have yet to be able to figure out how to choose only that part.

I figured out that you can delete the parts of the quoted post you don't want, but when you do that, then write your reply, your reply is then part of the quote, as you can see the light blue line to the left, indicating the quote, extending down through your own reply.  When deleting part of the quote you don't want, there is no way to then field out of the quote to type your reply so it's not a part of it.  

I've taken to just copying and pasting the part I want to reply to and putting quotes around it.  Too bad there isn't an option to insert quotations to make it show up as a quote like an actual quote does.  

Any ideas?  

Edit:  Evidently this was "fixed" within the last couple of days.  So the problem isn't a problem anymore.  

16 REPLIES 16
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

@GabeU wrote:

I figured out that you can delete the parts of the quoted post you don't want, but when you do that, then write your reply, your reply ........

I've taken to just copying and pasting the part I want to reply to and putting quotes around it.  Too bad there isn't an option to insert quotations to make it show up as a quote like an actual quote does.  

Any ideas?  

I did this by first altering the quote and then using the keyboards down-arrow key to exit the quote box.

EDIT:

And it ignored the alteration.

EDIT II:

here is an attempt to alter the quote as an edit

GabeU

@Gwalk900 wrote:

@GabeU wrote:

Has anyone yet figured out a way to be able to quote only part of a post?  Sometimes a post is long and you want to address only a small part of it.  I have yet to be able to figure out how to choose only that part. 

I did this by first altering the quote and then using the keyboards down-arrow key to exit the quote box.

EDIT:

And it ignored the alteration. 

Gwalk, this wouldn't work like this the other day.  They must have changed something.  I should have checked before starting this thread.  Oh well, such is life.  

Perhaps this will help others who are trying to figure out how to do so.  

GabeU

I figured out that you can delete the parts of the quoted post you don't want, but when you do that, then write your reply, your reply is then part of the quote, as you can see the light blue line to the left, indicating the quote, extending down through your own reply.  When deleting part of the quote you don't want, there is no way to then field out of the quote to type your reply so it's not a part of it.  

Wait, I think I figured it out.  I was able to click on a space down and ouside of the quote area.  This wouldn't work the other day, but it is today.  Either they changed something, or I did something different.  Interesting.  

Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

@GabeU wrote:

Wait, I think I figured it out.  Either they changed something, or I did something different.  Interesting.  

OK I'll try that.

Gabe, you are correct, it wouldn't work the other day but it does now.

Next task: The short leash on the auto-log off.

GabeU

@Gwalk900 wrote:

Next task: The short leash on the auto-log off.

Amen to that!  

GabeU

I tried the down arrow thing and that worked, too.  They definitely changed something.  I spent nearly twenty minutes the other day when I was trying to quote a part of another person's post to refute part of it (you might know which one I'm referring to).  

At least it works now, so that makes things much easier.  

I imagine they will be fixing things that no one has either brought up, or even noticed, as time goes on, along with the things people have noted.  

Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

@GabeU wrote:

I imagine they will be fixing things that no one has either brought up, or even noticed, as time goes on, along with the things people have noted.  

Everything requires some polish.

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Like I said on the test site, which you may have missed...

Have to arrow down all the way, or click below the quoted area.

Alternatively, you can inject the quote afterwards.

GabeU

I did miss it on the test site, but it wasn't working on here on Thursday.  I hadn't checked in the meantime to see if it had been fixed, which is why I started this thread.  Had I checked, I would have seen that it was fixed.  

I basicallly knew how it should work, but it wasn't, neither with the down arrow, nor clicking outside the quote area.   I spent at least twenty minutes trying to get it to work last week with a specific post, over and over, and couldn't get it to work.  It does now.  

GabeU

It's not working again.  I can't down arrow or click outside of the quoted area.  It won't work.  

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

@GabeU wrote:

It's not working again.    

It's working here on Chrome. Seems like certain issues come and go here, kinda like rolling snake eyes with dice. So punk, do you feel lucky? Smiley LOL

Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

We have Gremlins I fear

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

@Gwalk900 wrote:

We have Gremlins I fear

Oh but she is such a sweet thing, doesn't mean any harm.

giphy.gif

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

I still don't have issues doing partial edits, as long as I am careful and don't delete the trailing end that you can't see when doing a deletion of text... >.>

GabeU

@BirdDog wrote:

@GabeU wrote:

It's not working again.    

It's working here on Chrome.

On Chrome here, too, but I found a sort of workaround.  If I type at least part of a reply first, I can then go up and alter the quote and it will allow me to down arrow, or even click back down to my own typed reply.  Then I can continue more of the reply or whatever.  But, if go into the quote before first typing part of the reply, even if I alter nothing, I can't get back out of the quote box.