Hughesnet Community

Suggestion for layout of replies on the boards.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Suggestion for layout of replies on the boards.

I think it would be a good idea if the boards were set up so replies were in a nested fashion, just like the message boards on IMDB are.  That way there is no confusion when someone replies to someone's comment.  If you go to IMDB, select a message board, and a message with a lot of replies, then select to view it in nested fashion, you will see exactly what I mean.  This would end the possible confusion when someone replies to someone else's reply, but then someone mistakes that reply as being a reply to their post.  Replies are in the same column, but replies to one of those replies moves over to the right one column, so you know exactly which reply that subsequent reply refers to.  It's not always easy to tell.  Having all replies in the same column can be confusing. 

Just an idea.  BTW, you have to be signed in to IMDB to be able to select the nest view for a message on the message boards, otherwise it's in a straight line.

7 REPLIES 7
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Admittedly the GS format is "funny" so the best method thus far it to add the name of the user you are addressing the reply to,
GabeU

True, but that doesn't always happen.  Either people just don't do it or they forget to do it.  The nesting thing would take away all confusion. 
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Would make things simpler if they used a proper quote/reply system that most forums contain...  Click Quote for a post, takes that, puts it in the comment box, and you continue writing... Typically also contains the time and user name of the user you are quoting. >.>
GabeU

That, too.  Either one would eliminate any confusion. 

The only possible problem I can see with that one, though, is it could make the thread longer than necessary. 

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Not always, some forums will retract a whole quote to the first sentence with a button, "Click to view full quote" to prevent that from happening.  But, I don't think GetSat has.... enough intelligence persay, when it comes to forum/community software.
GabeU

That's true.  I forgot about that.  Who/What is GetSat? 

Ah, never mind.  I found it at the bottom.  They host the site.  

Chris11
Alum

Hi GabeU,

I wish we had more flexibility. Unfortunately Get-satisfaction does not support this type of nesting in its platform. Not much I can say at the moment, but suggestions on what would be great features in a community platform are welcomed!

Thanks,
Chris