System Control Center link incorrect...

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

System Control Center link incorrect...

The SCC link under "My Account" on the upper right is www.systemcontrolcenter.com, which doesn't work.  It should be http://systemcontrolcenter.com.  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

If you are using a third party DNS, that will happen, it's why I don't always suggest using a third party DNS unless it's for troubleshooting purposes...  If you must use a third party DNS, make sure the local DNS server on your router lets you input your own records that way you can get around that issue.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
GabeU

Interesting.   I basically get the same message with IE, Chrome or Firefox....

Capture.JPG

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

If you are using a third party DNS, that will happen, it's why I don't always suggest using a third party DNS unless it's for troubleshooting purposes...  If you must use a third party DNS, make sure the local DNS server on your router lets you input your own records that way you can get around that issue.

GabeU

Yep.  Using Google's.  

Let me change it to automatic, flush the cache and restart.  I'll see if that fixes the problem.  

GabeU

That was the problem.  It's working fine, now.  

I'm going to go back to using Google's DNS servers as the adapter on my desktop likes to change the DNS address multiple times if I have it set to automatic.  Locking in Google's DNS stops this from happening.  

I don't know what you mean about making sure that the local DNS server on my router lets me input my own records.  The only thing I changed in my router, regarding DNS, is changing its IPv4 DNS to Google's.  Normally I don't use my router as I'm mostly on my desktop, but when I do, I have it set to that.  Actaully, I have all three of my computers AND my router set to Google's DNS servers, though only IPv4 in the router and IPv4 and IPv6 in the three computers.  The computers just seem to find pages faster and they seem a bit more robust using Google's servers.  

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

@GabeU wrote:

I'm going to go back to using Google's DNS servers as the adapter on my desktop likes to change the DNS address multiple times if I have it set to automatic.  Locking in Google's DNS stops this from happening.  

That's certainly not good, you really should try to dig deeper and find out why your computer keeps doing that...  It (the computer) should always depend on the DNS server built into your router, and the router should always be doing the lookup or responding with cached records.

@GabeU wrote:

I don't know what you mean about making sure that the local DNS server on my router lets me input my own records.  The only thing I changed in my router, regarding DNS, is changing its IPv4 DNS to Google's.  

All consumer grade routers have a basic DNS server, but some more advanced ones will allow users to input their own DNS records, I highly doubt you have one that lets you do that though....  But, you could modify your hosts file so that the computer at least always knows where the address is... Just remember, by default most Hughesnet programs in use will look for systemcontrolcenter.com and if it can't resolve, it wont work.

GabeU

Well, geez, now the "correct" link I put in the post isn't even working.  Now I'm stuck with 192.168.0.1.