Hughesnet Community

The Reps "stepping back". Are the procedures still the same?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

The Reps "stepping back". Are the procedures still the same?

In the past, when one had a speed issue, we would ask some questions, and after those basic questions had been answered we would often then give the instructions to run speed tests, but those tests were requested so the Reps could look at the results and decide where to go from there.  

Is this still the procedure?  Will the Reps still take over at this point?  I would hope so, but I'm not so sure.  

And, of course, this concern isn't just regarding speed tests, which was only used as an example.  It's regarding pretty much any of the common things, or not so common things, which eventually require a Rep to get involved.   

And what happens when a person starts out with a problem that ONLY a Rep can help them with?  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

For the most part the typical procedures will remain the same, what will be different is that we will try to cover more ground, and when we are out of ideas and if a moderator hasn't stepped in yet, tag the one that is most active at the time (here lately it has been just Liz, Amanda is off... doing things) or another member.  Like the other day a user was posting about having intermittent issues with their service, with the issue on two beams impacting a large group of people, and after some information was collected I tagged Liz asking her if he happened to be on those beams and it went "smoothly".

As of right now, OP has yet to post back after Liz confirmed the issue the user was experiencing.

In the end, it's going to be a little more work and educated guessing once we have enough facts/information and if the problem still isn't solved boot it up to the mods with a tagging and see if there's something they can do.

That is why I sent out (or at least thought I did!) a PM to the most common regulars saying, if one of us happens to be the first to post in a topic, just keep an eye on it and let the first deal with the topic, unless we notice that our immediate input is absolutely required, or we are tagged for input.  It will help keep things cleaner and have a more streamlined troubleshooting process.  This will also help keep the OP of a topic from re-running multiple tests, and help keep topics on track instead of ending up OT.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Hi Gabe,

As far as I know the .... procedures ... are the same. As far as I know the Mods still read all posts but limit their involvement to those posts where its needed.

I assume that many of the 'answers' will be done via PM. That means, at least to me, that the 'resolution phase" of many issues will be hidden from other users looking for an answer.

I don't know if this new approach will work or not.

maratsade

@Gwalk900 wrote:

I assume that many of the 'answers' will be done via PM. That means, at least to me, that the 'resolution phase" of many issues will be hidden from other users looking for an answer.

I don't know if this new approach will work or not.

While I imagine there's a perfectly good reason for the new approach, I wonder if it isn't actually hurting customer service. 

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

For the most part the typical procedures will remain the same, what will be different is that we will try to cover more ground, and when we are out of ideas and if a moderator hasn't stepped in yet, tag the one that is most active at the time (here lately it has been just Liz, Amanda is off... doing things) or another member.  Like the other day a user was posting about having intermittent issues with their service, with the issue on two beams impacting a large group of people, and after some information was collected I tagged Liz asking her if he happened to be on those beams and it went "smoothly".

As of right now, OP has yet to post back after Liz confirmed the issue the user was experiencing.

In the end, it's going to be a little more work and educated guessing once we have enough facts/information and if the problem still isn't solved boot it up to the mods with a tagging and see if there's something they can do.

That is why I sent out (or at least thought I did!) a PM to the most common regulars saying, if one of us happens to be the first to post in a topic, just keep an eye on it and let the first deal with the topic, unless we notice that our immediate input is absolutely required, or we are tagged for input.  It will help keep things cleaner and have a more streamlined troubleshooting process.  This will also help keep the OP of a topic from re-running multiple tests, and help keep topics on track instead of ending up OT.

maratsade

"That is why I sent out (or at least thought I did!) a PM to the most common regulars saying, if one of us happens to be the first to post in a topic, just keep an eye on it and let the first deal with the topic, unless we notice that our immediate input is absolutely required, or we are tagged for input."

I've noticed a lack of the former common regulars, but it'd be a relief if they were to be around again. I'll go back to mostly lurking and stick to legal stuff and small talk.

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor
maratsade

@C0RR0SIVE wrote:

I don't see why you feel you should go back to lurking, that aside the regulars is always changing.

because I don't have the same level of expertise as the veterans.  I have participated more because the veterans are scarce these days.  🙂

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor
maratsade

@C0RR0SIVE wrote:

Topics are more scarce these days as well, plus I have been too busy to be here as much as I once was.

You are absolutely right. I imagine the other experts are also busy with life and stuff and have less time to spend here.  There's a lot less trolling too, which makes the board much calmer and the posts more infrequent. It's amazing how much the community changed overnight.