Account ownership form

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Zemo
New Poster

Account ownership form

I am recently divorced and wanted to removed my ex’s name from the account. Both of our names were on it but mine was not the “account owner”.

First, I was told that this was impossible to change and I’d need to cancel my account and get a new one. Both canceling and starting a new account have fees associated with them.

I spoke to another person who directed me to an account ownership transfer form. I completed and submitted this and nothing changed. Upon following up on the form I was told that it was no longer used. Previously, if you purchased $300 of equipment, they would change the name with that form but that’s not the case anymore.

I just checked and every other internet:phone provider I looked at will change the name free of charge. If I had any other option where I live I would leave Hughesnet.

This is a racket. No matter which way to look at it, they make extra off of customers they already had, and with no explanation as to why other companies have no problem doing what they call a “very complicated” thing.

The bill and account have always had my name on it. The payment has my name. All that needs to happen is that it my name be made the owner.
3 REPLIES 3
Remy

Zemo, 

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community! You are correct in that we do not change account ownership whenever a customer is on the lease program. The reason behind it being there is a credit check ran during the sales process, which binds the account to the person who the check was ran under. You can, however, switch account ownership if you purchase the equipment instead of leasing it, which doesn't require a credit check. The best option to get an account in your name would be to start a new HughesNet account.

Thanks,

Remy

Hi Remy,

Thank you for getting back to me. I was told yesterday that Hughesnet no longer offered the option to purchase the modem.

Zemo,

I double-checked just to make sure, and I was informed we do still indeed offer that option.

Thanks,

Remy