Hughesnet Community

Accumulated snow in tree falling on and damaging dish?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Timothy Southwa

Accumulated snow in tree falling on and damaging dish?

I live in a mountainous, heavily forested area where it snows enough for there to be, at times, up to three feet of snow on the ground. My question is: If I were to place my Hughes satellite dish under a tree ( big Oak or evergreen ), would there be much risk of accumulated snow in the tree falling on the disn and radio assembly and damaging either?
9 REPLIES 9
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

You can't place your dish wherever you want. It has to have a clear line of sight to the satellite and has to be to be aimed by a qualified installer.

As far as snow, you have to clear it off manually, especially the amounts you're talking about.

Is this a prank question?
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Well, I can tell you that a large amount of heavy snow, especially if it's hardened at all, can easily damage the dish if it falls on it.  Putting it under a tree isn't all that advisable.  Plus, like BirdDog mentioned, it really needs to be installed by a qualified installer.   
Timothy Southwa

It is not a prank question. There are at best few places around my home where there is a clear line of sight to the satellite. And placing the dish under a tree is one of the possibilities. I'm talking about big trees, and the needed inclination is 45°, not 90°. Also, I think I have final say. But it really doesn't matter. The same question arises if the installer decides to place the dish under a tree.
GabeU

Also, I think I have final say.
To a certain extent.  The installers have to put the dish in a place that fits the criteria for dish placement.  I don't think that they would install it under a tree where it can be easily damaged by falling debris, but then again, I'm not an installer. 
Timothy Southwa

Thank you for your answer. If the dish is installed, it will definitely be done by a Hughes hired, qualified installer. But I need to know certain things in advance.
GabeU

You're very welcome.  I hope you are able to have it installed in a place that works for you.

...or at least a place they are able to install it.  LOL. 

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor
Gokartergo

I am a installer. I don't like putting the dish under a tree for a couple reasons. One is tree branches falling. Also trees branches growing back into line of site. But there is always exceptions to the rule. It might be the only place to get to line of site.
Liz

Good morning Timothy,

Thanks for posting, good question. As the others have already noted, snow and branches falling on the dish, at the very least, can degrade performance.

Thanks, Gokartergo, for your expert opinion! Glad to have you around. 🙂

-Liz
If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!