Hughesnet Community

Anyway to get out of early termination fee?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ktlong92

Anyway to get out of early termination fee?

I just moved into a house which I'm renting, long story short, I had to move out a couple of months later. I would like to cancel my internet service, but don't want to pay the early termination fees. Does anyone know if there is a waiver that would allow me to not pay since of my bad luck of housing situation?

6 REPLIES 6
bare65
Advanced Tutor

I'm not sure if this is something HughesNet would/could do or not, (I'm just a customer, same as you).....

but I would suggest, if at all possible, that you obtain something in writing from your landlord stating that you have indeed moved out of this residence as this would certainly help with your request to have any EFT's waived, otherwise, HughesNet may think this as a case of 'buyers remorse' and your simply looking for a way out of your contract.

Did it work 

Hello 0619,

If there is  a specific concern or question we can assist with, please create a new topic in the appropriate category.

Thanks,

Amanda

johnnyasylum

I am in the same situation except for different reasons. I own a condo in a small building and thought Hughes Net would be great. After Hughes Net installed a ground mounted satallite dish a couple of months later the condo association sent me a letter indicating that I had violated the rules of HOA. I am now stuck paying for 18 more months of service because Hughes Net refuses to let me out of this contract without the termination fee which I cannot afford. I don't understand why Hughes Net cannot or will not be flexible in certain circumstances. I can even provide documentation from the HOA but the Hughes Net rep told that there is nothing they can do. Uggggg...

maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

It's not Hughesnet's fault you failed to check with the HOA before subscribing.  You will save money in the long run if you pay the ETF rather than continuing to pay every month until your contract period is over. 

*I am not a Hughesnet employee or representative. This is a customer-to-customer tech support community, and I am a customer.

Hi Johnny,

Welcome and thanks for posting. That sounds unfortunate, our best recommendation is to speak with your landlord/HOA about compensating you for the inconvenience or double-checking the FCC OTARD to see if the landlords guidelines are valid. You may still be able to keep the system, as the FCC has provided consumers with protections against this situation (including causing you to incur expenses) 

https://www.fcc.gov/consumers/guides/installing-consumer-owned-antennas-and-satellite-dishes
https://www.fcc.gov/media/over-air-reception-devices-rule

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!