AutoPay Question

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
abarad05
Freshman

AutoPay Question

Does the Due Date for an AutoPay customer have to be the same date the bill is created?  It appears the AutoPay amount hit my financial institution before I received the notification my bill was ready.  It would be nice as an AutoPay customer to have a few days between the date the bill is created and the date the payment is deducted from my financial institution.  What compounds this issue is the Notifications page has an option called "Set a billing reminder that your bill is due in X number of days."  I had this set to 5 days.  The way I see it I will never get that notification if my due date (AutoPay date) is the same day the bill is created.  I'm assumming that notification is for someone not set up on AutoPay.

7 REPLIES 7
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@abarad05  

If you want time to be able to pay your bill after it's created, you can call 866-347-3292 and request to be put on paper billing, which allows you to manually pay your bill by the due date.  There is a $5 monthly fee for this.  

The notification you're referring to is for customers on paper billing.  

Having time to pay my bill is not my point. Having time to review my bill for accuracy before I’m charged is. What if there is a billing mistake and I’m overcharged? How long will it take to be refunded? I’m guessing the answer is going to be “it will show as a credit on my next statement.” Just curious... are you a Hughesnet employee?
GabeU

@abarad05 

Firstly, no, I'm not a HughesNet employee, but rather a longtime customer and longtime Community member.  

Regarding refunds, once a refund has been issued it normally takes up to ten business days for it to be reflected, depending on the financial institution.  However, the chance of being overcharged for something is extremely small.  Barring state or jurisdictional taxes changing or a plan or special discount ending, your bill is exactly the same every single month, and always generated on the same date.

@GabeU 

I'm pointing out that having the due date on the same day the statement is created seems out of the norm to me.  Especially when Hughesnet deducts the amount before I get notified the statement is ready to view online; the amount was literally posting to my financial institution before the email showed up.  While this appears to be Hughesnet's business practice, it does not appear to be an industry standard.  Most services like Hughesnet (including Utilities, Cell Phone providers, Cable Companies, etc) will produce the statement first, mail a paper copy or electronic copy, and then deduct the AutoPay amount X number of days after the statement was created; not the same day.  And, yes, while the Hughesnet statement amount will be relatively consistent each month, it still can vary by pennies due to what you pointed out.  But never rule out the possiblity of a billing error.  The developers better make sure they get the decimal point in the right spot.

Also, what if I wanted a printed statement instead of being "paperless", and I want to remain on AutoPay.  I'm not sure that is even an option for a Hughesnet customer, but let's go with it.  Will my statement get printed and mailed and my AutoPay amount deducted all on the same date?  Thus, I would receive my paper statement 3-5 days after I've been charged?

Again, I don't need extra time to pay.  I don't need to be taken off AutoPay.  Yes, I am venting.  My point is Hughesnet created the statement the same day my AutoPay was deducted.  Obviously I'm not used to that.  This is more of a suggestion to Hughesnet hoping they would reconsider their business practice.

Let's leave it at that unless a Hughesnet employee has any constructive feedback.  My apologies for posting to a Community Forumn.  I tried this because the form to submit directly to Hughesnet Customer Support has a cap on the amount of text you can type.

GabeU

@abarad05 wrote:

Also, what if I wanted a printed statement instead of being "paperless", and I want to remain on AutoPay.  I'm not sure that is even an option for a Hughesnet customer, but let's go with it.  Will my statement get printed and mailed and my AutoPay amount deducted all on the same date?  Thus, I would receive my paper statement 3-5 days after I've been charged? 

Unfortunately, there is no option to do this.  The only statement to be mailed would be if you went with paper billing.  You can, however, print your invoices from the the MyAccount site.  

And there's no need to apologize.  Your questions and concerns are exactly what this forum is for.  

The reps are normally on M-F from approximately 9AM to 6PM EST, though Damian is occasionally on during the evenings.  If they have any info, comments or questions, I'm sure they will reply.

My bill is different every month
This upsets me
Why do you change my bill monthly
Please contact me for explanation and be consistent
maratsade

You can check your bill by going to My Account (at the top of this community's pages), and then clicking on My Bill, From there you can see invoices and see what the breakdown is. You may want to try that and see if it answers your question.