Hughesnet Community

Cancellation Fee problems

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
authement2003

Cancellation Fee problems

I am having to cancel my service because I recently moved and Hughesnet will not waive my cancellation fee. My new landlord will not allow the service to be installed. It is not my fault that I'm having to cancel early, but they are still making me pay 300 dollars! This is ridiculous!!! I will not recommend hughesnet service to anyone and will not do service with them ever again. This is an unfair policy to charge people for something that is out of their control. very unhappy
20 REPLIES 20
Amanda

Hi authement2003,

Sorry to hear about your new landlords rules! 😞 Did you confer with the landlord before moving and mention you had satellite dish equipment that needed to be installed?

Thank you
Amanda
authement2003

My landlord did not tell me until after I moved in that I could not have the service installed.
ajnedolast

Hughesnet will try to squeeze every penny out of its many dissatisfied, cancellation-bound customers.  I wonder how much of their profit margin is from early cancellation fees.  I will recommend that prospective customers steer clear of Hughesnet.  Their pricing and data caps are egregious.
ajnedolast

Awesome, Amanda.  "Sorry" really shows compassion and flexibility.  And a frowning emoticon to boot 😉  Now I really feel like I'm represented by caring, considerate individuals, whose hands are tied in the matter of helping someone who has relocated.  We know how cheap it is to relocate Anywhere.  Might as well tack on an early cancellation fee on top of the rental truck fee and apartment deposit. Let it be said, that Hughesnet is a benevolent, compassionate leader in the shrinking market of satellite internet 😄
wwatkins123

I'm on HughesNet's side on this one, and I'm HARDLY even in agreement with them.  You should do due diligence BEFORE you move to make sure that your service is available to be moved to your new location.  Ask your landlord about it being placed on a metal pole so it's not attached to the house or anything, that may work.
sunnygibson

I agree that Hughesnet should be able to be more flexible in situations such as these. I would suggest that she start at the top of Hughesnet's food chain and don't even bother with the people who answer the phone or claim to be supervisors when you request to speak to one. Most are like mindless robots who can only speak on what is in their script. Someone at the top would have more authority to waive this fee and if the tenant can provide proof from the landlord in the form of a notarized statement, then it would be callous of Hughesnet not to consider at least reducing it if not waiving the fee altogether. I mean, is hughesnet so money strapped that they would want a customer to continue to pay for a service they can't even receive? Or if she can't afford to pay the termination fee right away, she should consider reducing her package to the lowest one possible and ride it out until she can. I also recommend that she switch to paper bills (versus allowing hughesnet to automatically debit her account each month). I don't recommend automatic payments to anyone because some unscrupulous companies will try to charge your credit card when they don't have the authorization to do so, as in late fees or unpaid early termination fees.
Amanda

Hi authement2003,

I am afraid to say I do have to agree with wwatkins123 on this one.. Asking your new landlord about their rules and restrictions would have been a good thing to do before making the move, but then again if that was the only place you could have moved to, you'd still be in the same situation! I do understand the costs of moving and the fact that you probably have to put a deposit on the apartment, a new water connection, light connection, renter's insurance, etc so I am very much okay with helping you on the early termination fee. The only condition is that if you leased your equipment, please provide me your new address in an e-mail to communitysupport@hughes.com so that I can send you a box & pre-paid shipping label for return.

Thank you,
Amanda
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

US Laws recognize that if you use a credit card for payment in a continuous service that if you are charged late fees, and unpaid termination fees can debit any active billing method the customer gave them.  Also, paper billing costs more per month.
ljaj2008
Freshman

This forum has made me happy that I looked for it first instead of calling customer service when I had trouble. 🙂
sunnygibson

Yes, paper billing does cost more each month but I'm happy to pay the extra $5 just so hughesnet or any other unscrupulous company can't use that legal mumble jumble and charge my credit card without my authorization...continuous service or not. Hughesnet won't even let you choose paper billing as an alternate method of payment unless you call in and talk to a representative first who just happens to be in a foreign country, hardly speaks good English and makes you repeat over and over again at least 10 times that you want a paper bill and that you understand it will be an additional $5 a month...really Hughesnet? And it's shameful that you even have the gall to charge $5 a month just to receive a paper bill and then go out of your way to make it so difficult for a customer just to get it! All dubious and deceitful methods of gouging customers who are already paying an arm and both legs for a internet service I wouldn't wish on children in Africa.
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

If you think that's bad, consider this, the only Satellite Competitor for Hughes doesn't offer a 30-day window, locks you into a 2 year contract, publicly states that they gave bad information (people on certain plans got screwed), and will not accept ANY payment form other than credit/debit.  They won't even allow paper billing. 🙂
authement2003

Thank you Amanda for being understanding. My move was done rather quickly and I did what was best for my family. I have already given customer support my new address to have the box with a prepaid shipping label sent for me to send back the leased equipment.

Amanda

Hi authement2003,

Not a problem. I've already applied the credit to cover your Early Termination Fees when they roll in. Please let me know if I can assist with anything else.

Have a good weekend
Amanda
rosegravette

I need to cancel my service and I cannot pay the ridiculously high termination fee! I have to move in with family because I can't afford my own place any more! I do NOT have $400 to give away for something that has been crappy from the get go. I am on a very small fixed income! Can you please send me a box and prepaid shipping label? Thanks!

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Good lord! Please start your own topic instead of jumping into everyone else's.

And 2 months old. You get no sympathy from me.
rosegravette

Good Lord!! MIND YOUR OWN BUSINESS!! It plainly says that Hughes will "look for existing conversations to save time" when you try to post a question! Not my fault it brought me here! And, nobody asked YOU for ANYTHING!
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

rosegravette,

As was related to you previously you can only terminate your service by phone.

The number is 866-347-3292

If you decide to cancel, your service will usually terminate at the end of your current billing period unless you demand an immediate cancelation.

When you termination date arrives you will be sent a prepaid Return Kit.

You will be required to return the Modem, Power Brick and cords and the "radio" that is mounted on the end of the dish "arm".

If you do not return the equipment you will be assessed an "equipment fee" in addition to any ETF fees you may owe.

Some details: (click for larger image)

Complete information can be found here:

http://legal.hughesnet.com/ServiceTermsAndConditions-current.cfm

wpersal

Any American company that takes $400 for senior citizens on a fixed income should be deported and tried for treason. Hughenet is a crap company and you violate many state and federal codes by forcing Americans into lengthy contracts before they can "test" service. Enforcing this type of a bogus contract collecting the termination fee for something like internet which costs the provider little to no out of pocket money for use and you give your customers very little to begin with is going to catch up to Hughesnet and its employees. I would watch out. Other Companies owned by decent Americans are getting wind of. How unhappy your customers are and they are developing much better options to your slow expensive satalite like fiber. And your going to loose a lot of people if you can't improve your customer satisfaction. Hughesnet YOUR DAYS ARE NUMBERED!
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

wpersal,

Been a 10+ year customer, satisfied overall.

The dish, modem, radio, cable and installer labor are not cheap, it does cost  them quite a bit.

DirecTV, DISH, Comcast, TWC, AT&T have contracts, heck all providers have contracts these days.

This service is for those who can't get cable, WISP, low cost 4G........any other decent option. If you have other options you should not go with satellite.

Need help? Please start a new post. You are replying to a solved problem 2 months old.
Amanda

We're forking your post to better assist you, as this post was resolved 2 months ago. Thanks! -Amanda

Please reference the new conversation here: I need to cancel my service