Charged a $210 Cancellation Fee

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ACLabombard
Freshman

Charged a $210 Cancellation Fee

I've repeatedly attempted to call Customer Service and due to the language barrier I had service cancelled too soon and then had to pay a fee to reinstate as my parents were moving out of state.  Subsequently I cancelled and spoke to Customer Service; was told I shouldn't be billed any further and now I am getting a collection letter from Joseph, Mann and Creed.

5 REPLIES 5
Liz

Hi ACLabombard,

I see it's your first post here, so welcome to the community! I pulled up your account to review your invoices. $205 was for the early termination fee, and $5.37 was a result of a credit reversal--this is why outstanding balance on the account is $210.37.

There have been no additional charges since the cancellation in April, but the balance has never been paid since then, hence the collections letter. Hope that clears things up.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

Liz,

I believe this termination fee is incorrect and I have repeatedly tried to speak to someone in the US, unfortunately I get customer representatives from overseas reading off of a script, who do not help me and repeatedly transfer the call to other people.

Would it be possible for someone from Hughes to call the phone number on my account to resolve this issue?

Thanks,

Amy

Hello Amy,

Per the service agreement:

If you cancel after activation but before the end of your 24-month term commitment, you will be charged a Service Termination Fee of up to $400. The exact amount of the Service Termination Fee will be $400 for the first ninety (90) days after activation of the HughesNet Service. Thereafter, the amount will decrease by $15 per month for each month of active Service.

The system was installed in December 2016 and the service was terminated in April 2018, that's 16 months of service, so the ETF is $205. I hope that clears things up.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

The remaining balance has been paid; please advise collections that this is now satisfied.

Liz

Good morning Amy,

Thank you for letting me know, I've informed our collections contact.