Hughesnet Community

Charged for Technician Visit After Complaining of slow speeds.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Philhan

Charged for Technician Visit After Complaining of slow speeds.

We have been with hughes net for 11 months. In the beginning I was thrilled to learn that we were going to get twice as much data as our old plan with much faster speeds.  After the setup, the technician ran the speed test and showed me the speeds and I was pretty impressed, everything looked good. A few months or so into our service contract, our speeds started slowing WAY down(Less than 1mbps according to speedtest.net) even though we still had bonus data left (we pay for a 35gb plan).  We rarely use all of our data before our cycle ends. I called and complained and technical support was able to "make adjustments" or something and get the speed back up and everything seemed fine again, for now.

This sceneraio played out three or four more times until one day  technical support said that there was nothing they could do remotely and that the modem needed replaced. The technicians visit was scheduled  with no mention of a cost to us. A few weeks later the technician showed up and he determined that the receiver on the dish was out of alignment or faulty or something and that the modem was fine. After the visit things worked normally and we were happy.  Today we found a $440 charge to our bank account which we were told was for that technician visit. After being transferred multiple times we were basically told that it could not be reversed and that all we could do was to go write on this forum and complain. The technician visit was in response to our complaints of not receiving the service that we were paying for. We were not informed of any cost to us to have that breach of service remedied. So we were basically robbed to pay for this lack of service. So I guess the take-away is this-don't ever complain about the service or you could be charged almost $500 to get it fixed. So disappointing.

5 REPLIES 5
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

I realise you're angry about what happened, but give the Hughesnet mods a chance to review your account and see what's going on.  They'll get to the bottom of this. 

*I am not a Hughesnet employee or representative. This is a customer-to-customer tech support community, and I am a customer.

I never go on sites like this to complain. I am in business myself and understand the need to make profit but this seems excessive. if it had been explained to me the distance the tech would have to travel to get here and the cost I would have probably been fine with helping to offset that. Instead it seems I am paying for the whole thing.

maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

Well, you raised a concern -- that's perfectly natural. I'm glad someone's looking into this for you, and I hope you get a satisfactory resolution soon.  The Hughesnet mods here are very good at taking care of all of us. 

*I am not a Hughesnet employee or representative. This is a customer-to-customer tech support community, and I am a customer.

Philhan,

I have sent you a private message concerning this issue. 

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns!

Thank you,

Jay

Jay

Philhan,

I am currently investigating the account and I will reply back as soon as I have an update.

Thank you,

Jay