Curse my smart TV !!!!!!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Curse my smart TV !!!!!!

It just sucked 790MB for whatever reason, probably a firmware update, thought I had all that automatic stuff turned off.
I was doing so good with my allowance for the month, no longer.  😞
Am glad I have my new super duper router though. Saw exactly what did it.
ANother hard lesson learned.
15 REPLIES 15
TimJ
New Poster

feel for you sgoshe  I crashed windows 10  two times so far had to reload . Going download it again see if I can get them reports on issues
CharlesMcCool
New Poster

sgoshe Windows 8.1 had a optional update that was reported to be pretty large, mine was 457MB on 1 and 757 on my other1
CharlesMcCool
New Poster

Tim this time download the ISO file and make it a bootable disk
then you wont have to keep downloading it 🙂
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

I downloaded that the other day. Not so bad when expecting it. Don't think the TV downloaded a Windows update.  🙂
Was the TV for sure. Love my new router which shows usage by device.

The culprit caught in the act:

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Here's the ISO: http://iso.esd.microsoft.com/W9TPI/FD54DF81A4CCF4511BA1445C606DDBA2/WindowsTechnicalPreview-x64-EN-U...

PS: A direct download link. Be warned, it starts when clicked ~3GB.
CharlesMcCool
New Poster

That will teach you to buy one of those new fangled picture boxes, lol
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

I finally decided to do something about not seeing what machine is doing what unless it was just HTTP traffic... Have multiple internet connections, so multiple routers, all on the same network, helps me see who is using how much and where. 

Warren
Alum

Thanks for the post, Sgoshe!

We have a on-going post regarding sources for data usage. Definitely something to add onto..

- Warren
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Yea, not really a Hughes problem, just venting at my own stupidity for letting it happen. Glad I have a router that at least lets me see where it went.

Have a great Thanksgiving and long weekend!  
CharlesMcCool
New Poster

sgoshe I went back to the factory FW just to see what was new and I felt like a kid that lost a sucker, it took me all of 30 minutes to decide to go back to Merlin, lol
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

On Merlin 3.0.0.4.376.48_3 and working good. Going to stick with Merlin I think. Not going to attempt Tomato, read too many bad things.
CharlesMcCool
New Poster

Same here plus it does not support IPv6, also the version your running. did you get it from the Beta folder? if you did go back to the download page again because there is a final release not in the Beta folder
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Saw that already, updated from beta to final. Thanks for having my back though. 🙂

And have a great Thanksgiving!
CharlesMcCool
New Poster

You to
GetSatMan

>Yea, not really a Hughes problem, just venting at my own stupidity for letting it happen.

You're being too hard on yourself sgoshe--I don't know how you might have seen that coming, unless as you said up front the TV has a way to turn-off automatic updates. My many iGizmos download updates in the background and I can't find any way to stop this!

I wonder what earlier-Gen HN customers are suffering these days--any of these updates would have been impossible to get with the older system (200MB/day for mine).

If HN engineers aren't working feverishly to add some kind of download-tracking mechanism to their modems' firmware, this board is going to choke to death on complaints from customers about bandwidth.