Hughesnet Community

Data is used while no equipment installed!!!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Raiders13
Freshman

Data is used while no equipment installed!!!

So after we moved (not able to use it at the apartment complex) and were told the early termination fee could not be waived under any circumstances we are stuck with a $70 contract for another year and a half. NOW I CHECKED FOR MY BILL AND SEE THAT MY DATA IS USED WHILE NO EQUIPMENT IS INSTALLED PERIOD! No satellite is set up, no box installed nothing! This is unbelievable and I am in disbelief to be honest. This is by far the most terrible and customer unfriendly company I have ever dealt with. No understanding, no flexibility or help with customers life situations what so ever! I would never recommend this company to anyone ever. I would like to know if anyone else experiences unexplained data usage?
8 REPLIES 8
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

You'd rather pay $1260 for the service ($70 x 18 months), rather than pay the ETF, which would come to less than $400?

Unfortunately our cancellation fee would be over $900 since we had a business account. There is also a etf for the equipment what was not mentioned to us clearly what so ever. And no I can't afford to pay $900 upfront and no payment options are offered. Like I said this company sucks when it comes to customer service.
GabeU

@Raiders13

Ah.  In that case, if you would like to get help with you data usage issue, you should call 800-347-3272 for support.  This Support Community is for Residential Support, and there's not really a whole lot they can do here for business customers, unfortunately.  

GabeU

@Raiders13

If the equipment has been removed from the old location and not yet installed at the new, and you went online to check the data, whether with a computer or using the mobile app, what you're seeing is your data usage from prior to the equipment being disconnected.  

The data can't be updated if the modem is disconnected, and it can't roll over to the new month.  Once you reconnect the modem it will change, but until that happens it's going to keep showing what it was when it was disconnected, never resetting.   

So, don't worry, no data is being used while your equipment is disconnected.  Once your equipment is installed at your new location and your modem is powered up, everything will update to current.  

But, like maratsade mentioned, if you have no plan to connect the equipment at your new location it would be cheaper for you, in the long run, to just cancel the service and pay the ETF.  

Brooke
Alum

Hello Raiders13, welcome to the community and I appreciate you reaching out to us. I was able to pull up your account and I see it's a business account. I am very sorry your experiences with customer service have not been well. While I understand the frustration you're having, it's always important to check if your service will be available at a new location beforehand. 

Regarding the data usage, since you haven't been able to connect the modem back up, it's a high possibility the data is reflecting the last time your services were last on, since there isn't any other way for data to be transmitting with all the equipment disconnected. 

I hope this clears things up for you, let me know if you have questions.

-Brooke

Hello Brook,
we just moved cross country, new job and a complete new start. No its not possible to pick my new place to live based on hughes net availability!!! Sorry but that is just crazy. We needed to find an apart3 that is affordable for us to start of with and that's the main fact. So yes you would think a company this big could be a little bit supportive and humane. I didn't ask to cancel my whole ETF I asked to waive at least the equipment part to were we end up around $380 but no not even the slightest help from hughesnet side. Again we didn't even know about those etf for equipment until I called to cancel service ready to pay our regular ETF! And to whoever said to call that phone number...all I can say I did way to many times so far. Besides being in line for long times to even get a rep on the line, getting kicked out of line after waiting 15 min already and rude employees on the the phone, I have discovered nothing but incompetent answers.

I think you misunderstood what I was trying to say. I was not saying when looking for a new residence you have to make sure HughesNet is available, I simply meant it's important to check what internet providers are located there and if you find out HughesNet is not, then to look for alternatives. I moved from Nebraska to Arizona just a few months ago, so I know it's not easy starting over. 

Due to this particular situation, I'd like to address your concerns privately, could you please message me so we can discuss in further detail? Thank you.

-Brooke

Raiders13, it's been a while since I've heard from you. I'm going to close this thread, but please reach out to us if you need anything! Thank you.

-Brooke