Early Termination fee

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hayeshyman
New Poster

Early Termination fee

I was forced to terminate my service, and I was fully aware of the early termination fee for the internet, but I was never informed about a separate early termination fee for the HughesNet phone service.  Since I have never used a satellite-based internet service before, I wasn't sure how much data we would use until a few months of actual usage allowed me to evaluate.  Turns out, we used up our data allotment in about 10 days of the 30-day cycle, and of course, the slow speed after the data limit was reached is like "dial-up slow".   So I bought extra data each month out of necessity, but that was very expensive to buy extra data.  Ultimately, I had to cancel the service due to the economics of it.  I knew this was a possibility when I set up the service.  At the time I set up the internet service, the rep also asked me if I also wanted the phone service to go with my internet, and I agreed.  However, if she had informed me of a separate early termination fee for the phone service.  I would have refused the phone service if I had known that because I didn't really need the phone service, and I knew that I might have to cancel if the data usage made it financially unfeasible.  So when I canceled the service this week and the rep informed me of the phone early termination fee on top of the internet termination fee, I was furious.  But I politely explained what happened requested that it be waived.  They refused!  The rep's supervisor got on the phone, and again I politely explained that I was never disclosed about this fee for phone service early termination.  She also refused to waive it.  The bottom line lesson here is:  Buyer Beware because you may get charged for a fee that was never disclosed.

1 REPLY 1
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

@hayeshyman

Has it been 90 days or less since your sales call?  If so, then a Hughesnet CSR can pull your sales call and review what was stated during it.  If the agent did in fact omit the facts, then Hughesnet will traditionally, be more than happy to waive your fees.

Once cancelled, please remember that you must return your HT series modem, the transmitter located on your dish, as well as the power brick.  Hughesnet will send out a return kit that you can place theses items in, and include a pre-paid shipment label to send those parts back.  I would advise that you keep the tracking number on the return label.