Hughesnet Community

(Edit, Liz thank you!!) Mislead upon sign up, charged a different price, and slow speeds

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Swmk
Freshman

(Edit, Liz thank you!!) Mislead upon sign up, charged a different price, and slow speeds

In the very beginning I told the sign up agent I spoke with I would be moving after a few months and he reassured me I could take and continue to use the service anywhere I go. That was a straight out lie because after looking for a place to live, none of the apartment complex’s allow a dish to be set up. If he would have told me in the beginning that most apartment complex’s don’t allow the dish to be set up instead of telling me I can take it ANYWHERE and use it, I wouldn’t have signed up. However he misslead me into thinking I could take it anywhere. When I explained this to the customer service agent today that I’m ready to move and can’t take it, he told me technically he didn’t mislead me because I can take the “equipment” with me regardless of if I could use it or not! Are you serious??!! I was absolutely shocked!!!! I would have never signed up if the fist agent in the beginning didn’t mislead me into thinking any place I went they would accept the service the “dish”. So basically because I can still take the “equipment” ie. the dish etc and use them as a paper weight I’m going to continue to be charged. They also are charging me more each month than I was quoted and the speeds aren’t nearly fast enough to do what the sign up agent told me it would, now I’m stuck paying a cancellation fee for being mislead. There was literally no help at all from the agent I just got off the phone with and he just kept telling me it wasn’t their fault I was mislead. Are you kidding me??!! I work in customer service and would never treat anyone like this. I will be contacting the b b b immediately! If the guy I just spoke with would have even tried to work with me on the cancellation, maybe even splitting the cost I would have worked with him, but instaed blamed me for his agent misleading me in the beginning. I’m already on a tight budget and With all the moving fees I’m already needing to pay, deposit etc for an apartment this fee is just over the top and makes it worse that it’s not my fault the complex won’t allow it. Worst customer service I have ever experienced!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Good morning Swmk,

Ah, I see. Thank you for that. I've PMed you with a resolution. 

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

"That was a straight out lie because after looking for a place to live, none of the apartment complex’s allow a dish to be set up."

These apartment complexes may be in violation of federal law.

Liz

Hi Swmk,

I see it's your first post here, so welcome to the community! I'm sorry to hear your experience lately have been less than stellar. We can certainly address your concerns here.

Regarding the move situation, there are FCC rules that do protect your right to have a dish installed, maratsade already provided a link to those rules in the post above, so please check it to see if it's applicable to you.

In looking at your bill, I'm seeing you're paying the internet service fee, lease fee, and the Express Repair fee. The first two are standard charges for all lease customers, however if you're referring to the extra charge being the $7.95 Express Repair Basic monthly fee, please let me know and I can remove that for you. Express Repair is an optional service that lets you pay a $29.95 co-pay if you need a tech visit, as opposed to the usual $125.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Hi Liz, can you reimburse me for the past charges also? Or can you maybe help me out with the termination fee? This is literally crazy. The person I talked to wouldn’t even work with me at all. Just continued to remind me it wasn’t his fault I was mislead by someone in their company. I can’t even use the product because it’s slower than the sales guy told me it was. I told him what I needed it for and it can’t even do that.

Hi, 

Please check your private messages (PM) in the top right corner of the community page I will send you a PM shortly to further address your billing concerns.

What are you trying to do online? I just ran diagnostics on your site to ensure the HughesNet equipment is working normally and everything is checking out OK; we're delivering plan appropriate speeds to the modem. 

So we can begin addressing your speed concerns, please create a testmy.net account and run 3-5 tests during different parts of the day. Post your test results link here in your thread.

Only testmy.net speed test results are accepted to be considered for escalation to our corporate engineers. Tests from other sites like speedtest.net are not accepted due to the compression technologies and latency that satellite deploys.

Most important points to remember during this test:

-do the tests while directly connected to the HughesNet modem with a LAN cable (wifi must be disabled*, NO third party Router or Wireless devices can be used for testing)

-use the 25MB size download test file

-If testing upload instead of download, you must use a 4MB size upload test file

-space each test at least 5 minutes apart

-post your results URL here, it may look something like http://testmy.net/quickstats/yourusername

For a more in depth guide on running the tests, please visit: http://hninfo.us/speedtest

*If you don't know how to disable the wifi in the HT2000W, read "How do I manage my built-in WiFi modem?" in this PDF: http://customer.kb.hughesnet.com/Documents/1041318-0001_a.pdf Click "Save Settings" after unchecking "SSID Enable" for each of the four tabs individually (2.4Ghz, 2.4Ghz Guest, 5Ghz, 5Ghz Guest).

Hi Liz.
Sent you a PM. As far as the service speed goes I told him I was working from home on my laptop and needed to watch live streaming video from a CCTV system. He assured me the service he sold me would work just fine for that, however it does not. It just freezes. It was actually faster when I did a hot spot from my phone. However I kept the service simply because we watched Netflix every once in awhile, but it lagged on that too. So now I’m moving and can’t have it where I’m moving and even if I could, I’m on the ground floor surrounded by trees.

Good morning Swmk,

Ah, I see. Thank you for that. I've PMed you with a resolution. 

I just want to say that Liz has gone above and beyond to resolve this issue. I appreciate you Liz, and I appreciate your understanding, compassion and time helping me get this figured out. You are my hero.
Thank you!!

Good morning Swmk,

Aw, thank you for the kind words, you're very welcome. That's what we're here for, to help. Glad to have been of assistance to you. If you need anything else, don't hesitate to reach out again.

KitMarty69

I was mislead as well, changing to hughes has been a nightmare for me and I reget ever doing it, to the point that early termination does not sound like a bad idea to me.  Talking with online tech services has been a huge disappointment 

maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

Each conversation on this site is like a tech support ticket, and the Hughesnet people like to keep those separate so they can address subscribers' concerns individually.  If you would like your concerns addressed, please go back to https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/myAccount-and-Billing/bd-p/AccountandBilling and create a new "ticket" by clicking on the Start a topic button.  

You should provide more information about how you believe you were misled.  The Hughesnet staff will not be able to help you unless you give them more details. 

KitMarty69 wrote:

I was mislead as well, changing to hughes has been a nightmare for me and I reget ever doing it, to the point that early termination does not sound like a bad idea to me.  Talking with online tech services has been a huge disappointment