HT1100 Upgrade To Gen5 Questions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cybo54
Junior

HT1100 Upgrade To Gen5 Questions

Is it still possible to upgrade to Gen5 and keep our current HT1100 modem? If yes, what all does this entail, and what costs would be associated with such an upgrade?

We're currently on the Gen4 10GB daytime per month plan, and would like the Gen5 similar priced equivalent (20GB plan).

We've been customer for 13+ years, and was also curious if the monthly price could remain same as now $59, for the expected new 2 year contract?

Due to still using HT1000 and being a loyal long time customer, instead of jumping up to $69 in 6 months, we're hoping this may be possible.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Liz

Good morning cybo54,

Thanks for reaching out. As maratsade mentioned, you will get a HT2000w when you upgrade to Gen 5. The new modem is $150 MSRP, but we provide it for free for upgrades.

Technically the HT1000 can work with Gen 5, but we suggest using the HT2000w, as it is optimized to work with the Gen 5 technology; might as well use it since we send it to you anyway.

Please check your private messages (PM) in the top right corner of the community page as I've sent you a PM to further address your concerns.

-Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

View solution in original post

19 REPLIES 19
cybo54
Junior

We can't edit posts anymore??? If not, apologies for above formatting w/ everything squished together, it was not that way when I posted
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

They send you a new modem for Gen 5; I don't think you can use the old modem with Gen 5, but I could be wrong.  As for editing, you can still do so. Just click the 3 vertical dots on the right hand side of the post area and click "Edit."  The HN reps on this site will be able to answer your other questions. 

Back when we moved to Gen4, 2016 or 2017 I think, Amanda or Liz said we could use HT1100 for Gen5 later.

Now, that way may be "fake Gen5", and maybe not so fast, I can't remember how it was explained, but our main goal here is 20GB daytime a month instead the 10GB we have now.

Hopefully this is still possible as I know it will keep our end costs down that way

Thank you for the info on editing. I would have seen that, but until you mentioned it was not there, I now see it's blocked by "uBlock Origin" I didn't see until I turned that off.

maratsade

I think that if they keep you on the old satellite you can use the old modem.  If no one else answers your question, the reps will be back on Monday and they will, or you can call customer service or use the chat service.  I hope it's possible for you to do what you want. 

You're welcome! Wow, I didn't realise that UBlock Origin blocks the 3-dot menu. I wonder why. I use a different app and it doesn't block the edit function.  I guess you'd have to unblock UBlock if you want to use the functions listed in that menu...

GabeU

@cybo54 

Upgrading to Gen5 would require the usage of the HT2000W modem.  Depending on the age/type of dish you have, it may require a tech visit to complete the upgrade, even if it's only to reverse the polarity of the "eye", but whether that or any dish adjustment would be needed only a rep can say.  

I had the same type of problem when I was trying uBlock Origin out for a few months a year or so ago.  Everything was fine, then all of a sudden a bunch of options were missing, including the option to edit posts.  It took a bit to figure it out, but once I did I went back to Adblock Plus, which is what I had gone to uBlock Origin from.

@maratsade- Yes, hopefully Liz or Amanda replies this week, those are the two who's always helped us in the past

I'm sure someone will reply once the week gets going, not in any hurry so it's OK to wait.

Yes, I just disable ublock as needed.

@GabeU- Why do you say that?

It didn't used to require different modem, and we could have switched to Gen5 back at launch with current setup (was told that at the time anyway), but we did not due to it still being in beta phases back then.

Same here, I used to use Adblock plus too, but it was giving me issues with something (can't remember), so I moved over to uBlock

GabeU

@cybo54 wrote:

@GabeU- Why do you say that?

It didn't used to require different modem, and we could have switched to Gen5 back at launch with current setup (was told that at the time anyway), but we did not due to it still being in beta phases back then.

Same here, I used to use Adblock plus too, but it was giving me issues with something (can't remember), so I moved over to uBlock

Upgrading to Gen5 from Gen4 or any prior service has always required a modem upgrade to the HT2000W.  There are aspects of the Gen5 service that are modem dependant.  For whatever reason, the information you received at the time was likely incorrect.

That's not to say that the HT1100 can't be used, as alluded to by Liz, but for true Gen5 service the HT2000W is required. 

Edit:  I should have added that beta testing is different.  If you were invited to be part of the beta testing, it may very well have been that you could use the HT1100.  I wasn't invited to that, so I never took part and don't know the particular aspects of that testing.  I only upgraded to Gen5 after it was officially released in March 2017, and my information is based on the official release and my time spent here, including posts that discussed this particular topic in some way.

@GabeU -

I think it was right around launch, we were not invited to beta but it was still "in beta" so to speak and the official beta testing was still going on too. 

At that time, there were many users on the forums using HT1100 and getting Gen5.

I think even "some" new installs were going on on HT1100 too, depending on location if I rememeber correctly.

And on the forums it was referred to kinda as "fake Gen5", you got the same speeds, plans, prices etc, but not "officially Gen5". 

Speeds we get now are same basically the same as Gen5 advertised, our concerns are more about the larger 20GB daytime a month more than anything else.

We tend to run out of daytime bandwidth in 1-2 weeks usually, and end up spending 2 weeks or more a month with slower daytime speeds.

Thank you for your replies!

GabeU

@cybo54 

Are you sure you're not thinking of the discussions prior to release and people asking about whether they would need to upgrade?  I remember a slew of those.  But I've never seen a discussion, topic or reply, post Gen5 release, that stated anything about people being able to upgrade to Gen5 while keeping their HT1100 modem.   

Every time people have asked what an upgrade to Gen5 would entail, the one constant has always been the inclusion of the HT2000W modem.  For some people, that's the only thing they need for the upgrade, as both the ES17 and ES19 satellites can provide Gen5 service.

Or, might you be thinking of this post (or topic), which discusses the future (at the time) plan of using the HT1100 with Gen5 on the ES17?

https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/Products-and-Plans/Plan-amp-platforms/m-p/74555/highlight/true#M1...

@GabeU- I'm not 100% sure?  But yes, there was discussion about the two different satellites then too

I just remember that we were told at the time we upgraded to Gen4 that we could get Gen5 either if we wanted, and that it would use same modem

It's not a big deal, Liz said we could use HT1100 too, but it's not ideal, since the new modem is more optimized for Gen5 and we should go ahead and use it anyway since it's sent out free w/ upgrades

What is modem dependant on Gen5, other than the built in Wifi router?

Our main concerns w/ continuing to use HT1100 was to avoid new modem purchase, and or truckroll if new modem was 100% requirement.

But seems that's not the case in any regard, HT1100 technically could be used, but also no fee for the new modem and no truckroll required, so might as well go that route.

GabeU

@cybo54 wrote:

What is modem dependant on Gen5, other than the built in Wifi router?

To be honest, I can't remember for sure.  I think it may have something to do with data compression, though that's more a guess.  There was a thread a while back (at least a year I think) where something was mentioned as being different and specific to Gen5 (besides the modem's WiFi), but I can't for the life of me find it, nor remember the gist of the topic itself.

I could be entirely wrong and it may have been something more specific than dependant.  

@Liz-  seems I cannot reply to PM right now??? >> You have reached the limit for number of private messages that you can send for now. Please try again later. 

To answer your last PM, yes that is our correct address

* Edit - Please delete, I guess it was a 30 second or one minute wait issue, replying to PM's too quickly or something?

Hi cybo54,

I got all your PMs, yes there's a limit on how many PMs you can send in a certain amount of time; this is to prevent spam/abuse.  I'm glad we addressed your concerns and got you upgraded to Gen 5. Your new modem should arrive next week so please look forward to that. 

The community is always here for you so drop by any time if you have other questions or concerns.

Thanks,

Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Yes, sorry, I thought it was a daily limit at first, right when you asked me about address I could not reply to that PM.  So I posted the reply above.

All sorted now, I was just replying too quickly in PM's 🙂   Thanks again for your time and help on this upgrade!

We'll be on the lookout for the new modem!  Have a great weekend!

GabeU

@cybo54 

The system can get a little confused sometimes too.  If you try to send a PM and on your first attempt you get a message that HTML has been changed, especially when it's a reply to a PM, and even further, when it contains all or part of the message being replied to as a quote, there's a very good chance of getting that 'limit' message on the subsequent 'send message' attempt.

If this is/was the case, you can normally wait about five or ten minutes (with the message still open and waiting), then send the message through successfully.

Liz

Good morning cybo54,

Thanks for reaching out. As maratsade mentioned, you will get a HT2000w when you upgrade to Gen 5. The new modem is $150 MSRP, but we provide it for free for upgrades.

Technically the HT1000 can work with Gen 5, but we suggest using the HT2000w, as it is optimized to work with the Gen 5 technology; might as well use it since we send it to you anyway.

Please check your private messages (PM) in the top right corner of the community page as I've sent you a PM to further address your concerns.

-Liz

@Liz - Thank you for the reply! 

I think we own the HT1100 modem, or at least do not pay any lease fees for this, would there be lease fees on the HT2000w if sent for free? 

For the HT2000w, would a new dish install be required too? 

If we can stay on HT1100 is a truck roll required, or is that a requirement no matter what due to needing a dish realignment even on HT1100?

The main reason we wanted to stick with the HT1100 was to avoid truck roll costs, but now that I asked above I guess that may be required even if we stayed on HT1100 😞

Hi cybo54,

Since you're a purchase customer, there would be no lease fees for your HT2000w.

Only Gen 3 or other legacy customers would require a truck roll if they upgrade to Gen 5. I've sent you a follow up PM as well.

-Liz

Great and great, thanks for the answers!