Inaccurate Data Usage Reporting

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
scottD
New Poster

Inaccurate Data Usage Reporting

I am a new customer trying to figure out how much data we're using. All of the reporting tools I've looked at show different information. I tried dealing with chat support, and then phone support neither of which were able to provide an accurate solution. The last phone support call (124734097), I was assured that the information directly on my modem/router is the accurate information. At that time (11AM EST on 10/26/2019) the modem showed that we had 9.5GB remaining of our 10GB plan. I just looked at the modem data again at noon (12PM EST on 10/26/2019) and it shows we have 9.9GB remaining of our 10GB plan. Obviously this is not accurate.

I have looked at 3 different places where hughesnet claims to report our data usage.

• My Hughesnet Website
  • Windows Data Usage Meter (application)
  • Modem/Router

My Hughesnet Website (https://my.hughesnet.com/myaccount?_mpsource=Header&_udreq=1&tab=Usage)

On the face of the dashboard it presently says 0.0GB used, 10GB available. This number changes periodically. If I drill down into the "usage history" this shows that I had 9.3 GB remaining to begin 10/24/2019 which is the day we had it installed, 9.7 GB reamining to start 10/25/2019 and 0 GB remaining today (10/26/2019).

Windows Data Usage Meter

This presently shows 9.8 GB of service plan data remaining. It also shows 160.1 MB downloaded and 2.5 MB uploaded. These numbers do not add up and both have changed. Earlier today it showed we had 9.3 GB of service plan data remaining but 3.6 GB downloaded and about 180MB uploaded.

Modem/Router (http://192.168.0.1/#!/usage)

As previously stated, this showed 9.5 GB remaining on our plan earlier today, but now shows 9.9 GB remaining.

This is confusing and troubling. If hughesnet cannot provide accurate reporting of data usage, how can they properly bill me or decide whether to throttle me or not? I don't think I should be responsible for data usage that has disappeared from their reporting systems if it somehow reappears at some point. How can I know when to slow down or stop using my data when the reporting tools provided are not accurate?

I tried sending all this to support via an email to document it but they don't give an email address, only a form that limits you to 255 characters which is insufficient. So this is for documentation purposes as much as it is to get help.

Thank you.

16 REPLIES 16
MarkJFine
Professor

Your data automatically resets for the first 20 days at some random period of hours.

This is done as a courtesy to ensure the system is working correctly, and allow you to update virtually every piece of software you own without blowing your data cap. lol.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

@MarkJFine - thanks for the response.

That is interesting if it is true, and I would appreciate it as it would be a nice benefit to new customers. It does sound odd though, and I question whether it is true given the fact that no customer support rep has mentioned it at any point - especially given the issue I've described. It also wouldn't explain all of the issues I've seen. The different reporting tools should still show the same information even if the data had been reset. The tools should still have data that adds up within them (see windows data meter details not adding up to summary) even if the data had been reset.

- Scott

Well, it's true, and enjoy it because 10G/mo isn't going to last long if you do any video streaming. I can tell you that general software maintenance and incidental use for two macs, two iphones, and an ipad is at least 20G/mo with no streaming, IoT devices, or satellite TV boxes connected.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

@MarkJFine - cool, thank you. Do you get accurate reporting of your data usage after 20 days using the tools I've mentioned?

I would still like to hear from someone on the discrepancies I've noted.

As far as I can tell, I've used the My Account->Usage here, the iPhone app, and the Usage Meter for the Mac, and they were all pretty close to each other - I think w/in a 1MB. If I recall, not everything had the same resolution. Some were in GB, and some rounded up to save space. But the data itself all comes from the same place so I find it hard to believe there would be such a huge discrepancy.

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@scottD wrote: 

I would still like to hear from someone on the discrepancies I've noted.

Once the twenty days of resets are over the data amounts displayed with each source will more accurately match, though they may not show as exactly the same due to different methods of rounding, as Mark noted.

maratsade

"That is interesting if it is true,"

It is true; why would Mark make it up?  It should have been in the email you get when you sign up.

@maratsade - why would Mark make it up? I don't know? It's the internet, people make things up all the time. Do you just accept things people say on the internet as truth? I don't.

No offense to Mark, of course. 

maratsade

I use evidence.  I've known Mark for a while and am familiar with his expertise. He has also proven himself (and his expertise) here over the time he's been participating here, so I'm confident he's not making it up.   

Edit:  Looks like Mark's not to be trusted, so as you were. LOL

scottD wrote:

It's the internet, people make things up all the time. Do you just accept things people say on the internet as truth? I don't.

No offense to Mark, of course. 

Nah, I'm with Scott. I wouldn't listen to me, either. 😂

maratsade

Moved to "Do Not Trust" list? Check.

GabeU

@scottD wrote:

@maratsade - why would Mark make it up? I don't know? It's the internet, people make things up all the time. Do you just accept things people say on the internet as truth? I don't. 

Though one certainly has to be careful on the net, a person's badge/rank on this Community can give an indication of their trustworthiness.  As another indicator, you can click on their name to see their particulars.

@GabeU wrote:

click on their name to see their particulars.

How embarassing. Have I left the cam on again?

GabeU

@MarkJFine wrote:

@GabeU wrote:

click on their name to see their particulars.

Capture.JPG

maratsade

I have sent you several emails about that, but you keep thinking it's spam. 

@MarkJFine wrote:

scottD
New Poster

I received an email asking me if my problem was solved and requesting that I mark a response a solution.

I have received some information that helps me understand some of the issue I've described but not all of it. Until the 20 day period is over and I see accurate reporting in the tools I do not consider this resolved.