Misled by sales rep and never got the service we signed up for

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jenc
New Poster

Misled by sales rep and never got the service we signed up for

Hughesnet has never given us the service level we signed up for. When we called for support the rep told us we needed to disconnect every device, including the echo, every phone, the printer etc in order to stream NetFlix from one machine. And when we did that it still buffered and was not watchable. Hughesnet has never given us the service level we signed up for and we have paid for it for a number of months now. We are in essence paying for service that we are not receiving and we were sold service that Hughesnet is not capable of delivering. I want to stop paying for non-service. How can I do that? How can I return all of the equipment and stop paying for service that's not being provided?? 

6 REPLIES 6
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

To cancel, call 866-347-3292. You may have to pay an early termination fee if you're still under contract. See http://legal.hughesnet.com/ServiceTermsAndConditions-current.cfm

You will also need to return the equipment (modem, power pack, and the radio from the dish). You will get a kit to return the equipment when you cancel the account.

Is there a way to figure out how much we're going to be out of pocket for an early termination fee?

Liz

Hi jenc, 

Welcome to the community and thanks for reaching out. I pulled up your account and I see that you've already gotten in touch with a chat agent and gotten the information you needed. Just for reference, I'll leave this relevant excerpt from the terms and conditions that maratsade linked above, so that others are aware and can figure out the ETF on their own:

If you cancel after activation but before the end of your 24-month term commitment, you will be charged a Service Termination Fee of up to $400. The exact amount of the Service Termination Fee will be $400 for the first ninety (90) days after activation of the HughesNet Service. Thereafter, the amount will decrease by $15 per month for each month of active Service.

Please don't hesitate to contact us again if you have any other questions.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

VinceP
Spectator

You are pretty much screwed like the rest of us. You would have to pay  cancellation fee of about $600, even though they are not living up to the contract you signed. I am in the same boat. I will just wait until the contract is up and then tell them to come and get all of their junk.

GabeU

@VinceP wrote:

You are pretty much screwed like the rest of us. You would have to pay  cancellation fee of about $600, even though they are not living up to the contract you signed. I am in the same boat. I will just wait until the contract is up and then tell them to come and get all of their junk.

Complete misinformation.

As shown in the info posted by Liz, the Early Termination Fee for residential accounts starts at $400.  

GabeU

@jenc

While streaming with Netflix, have you tried turning off, or pausing, the Video Data Saver?  This may help with the buffering.