Modem return problems

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
IntheSticks
Sophomore

Modem return problems

Having issues with Hughesnet after shipping back a dead modem. First, here's a little background ::

1. Modem would not connect to internet, only 2 lights on. Called HN tech support, CSR asked me if it was snowing, when I answered that it was he told me that HN had turned off the interent because of the snow and to wait until the snow stopped.

2. That didn't sound right so called back, got a different CSR and she correctly diagnosed a failed modem. She told me a new one would be shipped to arrive in 3-5 business days.

3. 7 days later I still had not received the new modem and called HN - somehow the modem did not get shipped !!!
4. HN overnighted one to me at no additional charge.
5. March 1st - I returned the failed modem using the enclosed shipping label.
6. March 23rd - received email from HN warning me that they had not received the returned modem.

7. March 25th - called HN, talked to CSR Mario Cabello, he did some checking and told me that HN had received the returned modem March 13th and that there would be no $125 charge. (case 119500653)

8. April 14 - my credit card was charged an additional $125 !!
9. April 14 - called HN, talked to Klay (case 119940491) she reviewed my account, said she would talk to accounting to reverse the $125 charge and would call me back the next day at 1 pm PST

10. April 15 - no call from HN at 1 pm, so I called HN, the CSR checked with accounting and told me that they could not issue a refund because the RMA was still open. I told her about my March 25th conversation with HN where they confirmed receiving the modem and she said she had a record of my calling HN, but, no record of my actual conversation. So HN now says they did not receive the modem and I'm out $125 !!!!

11. I did not get a UPS tracking number when I shipped the modem back and I totally regret that !!!!!

So, which CSR do I believe - the one that said HN received the old modem or the one that said they didn't ???!!!!!!!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hello Michael,

I apologize for the delay in response. It does appear there was miscommunication internally regarding the return of your equipment. Our agents attempted to reach out to you twice on the 15th. We wanted to inform you that as of 4/14/2019, a credit of $125 has been issued back towards the account. This means once your next bill generates, the credit that was issued will cover it, essentially giving you a free month of service in addition to money off of the next bill after. I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you and I appreciate your understanding. 

-Damian

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

Wow, that's some ordeal. I suggest you wait for a Hughesnet corporate rep (they work on this site) to respond.  I'm sure they will sort everything out for you.  

@IntheSticks wrote:

Having issues with Hughesnet after shipping back a dead modem. First, here's a little background 

Yes - I hope they can !! There seems to be a disconnect between shipping/receiving and customer service. Also, it is extremely frustrating to get different information depending on which CSR I talk to - I reckon the CSR that tried the snowstorm story wanted to go on break and not spend 45 minutes correctly diagnosing the modem issue..................:/

maratsade

There may be some breakdown in communications between departments, but it's a good thing that you're reporting this, as the corporate reps might be able to figure out what's going on and may be able to fix it, so the next person won't have to go through your very confusing experience.  I hope at some point you can laugh at the story about how HN shut down the internet due to snow.... 🙂

IntheSticks wrote:

Yes - I hope they can !! There seems to be a disconnect between shipping/receiving and customer service. Also, it is extremely frustrating to get different information depending on which CSR I talk to - I reckon the CSR that tried the snowstorm story wanted to go on break and not spend 45 minutes correctly diagnosing the modem issue..................:/

maratsade

If you don't hear from anyone by Friday, I suggest maybe you drop a private message to one of the mods here.

@IntheSticks wrote:

Thanks for the suggestion maratsade - I really quite angry about this - angry at myself for not getting a UPS tracking number, I should know better !!
I've used UPS forever - both as a shipper and as a recipient, and never, not even once did a package get lost.
So, I'm sure the returned modem is somewhere in HN's inventory despite what 1 of the 3 CSRs I've contacted believes 😞

maratsade

Looks like the issue has been fixed!  And I know how frustrating miscommunication can be, and how easy it is to kick oneself over stuff.  I hope you'll forgive yourself (take yourself out for a drink!) now that there's been a resolution. 

@IntheSticks wrote:

Thanks for the suggestion maratsade - I really quite angry about this - angry at myself for not getting a UPS tracking number, I should know better !!
I've used UPS forever - both as a shipper and as a recipient, and never, not even once did a package get lost.
So, I'm sure the returned modem is somewhere in HN's inventory despite what 1 of the 3 CSRs I've contacted believes 😞

Hello Michael,

I apologize for the delay in response. It does appear there was miscommunication internally regarding the return of your equipment. Our agents attempted to reach out to you twice on the 15th. We wanted to inform you that as of 4/14/2019, a credit of $125 has been issued back towards the account. This means once your next bill generates, the credit that was issued will cover it, essentially giving you a free month of service in addition to money off of the next bill after. I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you and I appreciate your understanding. 

-Damian

Thanks so much for looking into this Damien - I really appreciate your efforts on my behalf !!
On another topic, I had complained about HN popping messages into my browser about an expired credit card last month. You looked into it and thought the problem would clear itself at the end of the billing cycle - and yes, you were correct, it did !!

Thanks again !!!! 🙂

Michael,

That's great! I am glad the community and I were able to provide assistance for both issues. If you ever need any assistance in the future, I hope you come to the community for support. 

-Damian