Did you mean: 
rm68jsu
New Poster

None

None
16 REPLIES 16
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

That's very likely not doable with capped internet, as the total amount of data we all have to share is very limited, due to the limited capacity of the satellite.

[Note: OP was asking for the removal of data caps so they could have more data to work from home. Sadly they deleted their post and erroneously marked my answer as a solution.]

I was trying to ask this of the company (who actually has the authority to answer this question), not the customer community; I apologize for the confusion.
maratsade

No need to apologise; this is a customer-to-customer site and customer replies are to be expected; you will probably get more. 

Damian

@rm68jsu,

Thank you for reaching out to us. @maratsade is correct. Satellite internet has its own inherent limitations that may prevent us from doing something like this, as much as we would like to. With that being said, we hear your concerns and are actively working on multiple solutions for our customers. We understand that this will change your typical usage habits and needs. Please check back with us soon for an official statement.  

-Damian 

maratsade

@Damian , I wonder if you could untick the solution, as it isn't a solution at all. 🙂

@maratsade,

I sure can! It looks like it is back to normal now. =). 

maratsade

Cheers, Damian! 

Can the speeds stay at the regular rate instead of being dropped back when we go over due to the coronavirus?

Reggie
Teaching Assistant

@elmiracat wrote:

Can the speeds stay at the regular rate instead of being dropped back when we go over due to the coronavirus?

First what is regular speeds.

What beam & satelite are you on.

How do I find out the beam info? I'm in Michigan so, the satelite above me😜. Seriously, How do I find out the info please?

maratsade

To find your beam ID, go to http://192.168.0.1/#!/home/information

elmiracat wrote:

How do I find out the beam info? I'm in Michigan so, the satelite above me😜. Seriously, How do I find out the info please?

maratsade

If they were to suspend the Fair Access Policy, then it would not be fair to those subscribers who manage their alloted data.  To restore speed, they offer tokens.  Maybe they could temporarily lower the price of tokens.

elmiracat wrote:

Not "fair" to users of traditional carriers either. Hughesnet should step up and release bandwidth like the others. The fact they aren't is because they know their customers have no alternative. Maybe if they acted like they cared now some of their customers would stick around in a couple years when others get competitive networks built... Go T-Mobile/Sprint and Dish..
maratsade

You don't seem to understand that satellite internet is a limited resource with a limited amount of bandwidth, and that unlike terrestrial internet, they can't add bandwitdh without building new satellites, which is not an easy nor cheap task. 

If you have other alternatives, then go with them.  If you don't, then you need to adapt to the reality of a limited resource. 

tandst1 wrote:
Not "fair" to users of traditional carriers either. Hughesnet should step up and release bandwidth like the others. The fact they aren't is because they know their customers have no alternative. Maybe if they acted like they cared now some of their customers would stick around in a couple years when others get competitive networks built... Go T-Mobile/Sprint and Dish..

Reggie
Teaching Assistant

@tandst1 wrote:

It would best if you start your own thread. Also go to Google to do research for the difference between bandwidth & throughput.Tthat might help explain satelite limits.

GabeU

@tandst1 wrote:

It would help to research what you are critiquing lest you publicly make baseless and foolish claims.